Outdoor Weddings
Options

Ceremony Seating

Okay ladies, I need some opinions.
Our ceremony and reception are taking place in the same area, a large garden and lawn behind someone's house. Because of this, I'm having a hard time figuring out the space and how to transition from the ceremony to the reception. The space is basically a large rectangle, with a small vintage looking cottage at the top. The ceremony chairs will be in the middle, with our tables already set up along both sides of the space. My issue is that once the ceremony ends, the guests have no place to go but to their tables while we remove the chairs from the ceremony. I'm worried about this getting complicated or confusing, or being just plain tacky. (I saw an episode of Four Weddings where the three ladies judging were heavily criticizing this kind of thing, and now I'm all worried!).

My only other thought was that instead of setting up the tables and ceremony chairs, we could just set up the tables. That way when our guests come in for the ceremony, they will just sit at their tables to watch the ceremony, and we don't have to worry about that transition and removing the chairs, and they'll already be seating when it comes time for the reception to begin. This makes it pretty informal, but I'm okay with that because the whole wedding will be rather informal anyway. What do you think?

Re: Ceremony Seating

• Options
    I think having everyone seated at their tables for the ceremony is your best bet, so long as everyone can still see comfortably with this configuration.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I agree that seating everyone at their tables is probably your best bet.  I think the only other option you would have is to do a cocktail hour in one corner of the area.  Set up lounge type seating and an area where people can mingle while you have the break down of the ceremony are and set the chairs at the tables.  However, visually, it isn't a great thing for guests to witness in a short time period.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with the above posts, if you can't make the ceremony "magically transform" into your reception then don't do it at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards