Wedding Etiquette Forum

Coworker invite help!

So I decided fairly early on that I wasn't going to invite any of my coworkers aside from my boss to my wedding. Everyone at work knows about the engagement and there are only about 12 of us total that work together so not a huge environment. I try not to talk about wedding plans or mention anything about the wedding but some of the girls will ask me questions about what I'm working on or what I'm planning. My boss (he's almost like a big brother) told me one of the girls was talking to him about how excited she was for my wedding and how she couldn't wait for the festivities. Another girl also offhandedly mentioned something about attending. My budget is super tight and I know being in a close environment with these people makes it hard to keep wedding plans under wraps but 1) Do I need to invite these people now because that adds about 24 people to my guest list and 2) If I stick with my original plan of not inviting them how do I tell them without hurt feelings? I felt like I've done everything in my ability to not lead them to believe they would be invited, it seems like they're just assuming they will be.

Re: Coworker invite help!

• Keep up what you're doing at work.  Not talking about the wedding, etc.  If someone outrightly asks you, you just say that you weren't able to invite everyone that you wanted to.  But also, be prepared for some hurt feelings when your co-workers find out your boss went to the wedding and they were not invited.  You do not need to invite your co-workers just because they are excited about your wedding.  Many of my co-workers were excited about my wedding as well, but there was no way I could have invited everyone in my department.
  • So I decided fairly early on that I wasn't going to invite any of my coworkers aside from my boss to my wedding. Everyone at work knows about the engagement and there are only about 12 of us total that work together so not a huge environment. I try not to talk about wedding plans or mention anything about the wedding but some of the girls will ask me questions about what I'm working on or what I'm planning. My boss (he's almost like a big brother) told me one of the girls was talking to him about how excited she was for my wedding and how she couldn't wait for the festivities. Another girl also offhandedly mentioned something about attending. My budget is super tight and I know being in a close environment with these people makes it hard to keep wedding plans under wraps but 1) Do I need to invite these people now because that adds about 24 people to my guest list and 2) If I stick with my original plan of not inviting them how do I tell them without hurt feelings? I felt like I've done everything in my ability to not lead them to believe they would be invited, it seems like they're just assuming they will be.
    I have had to do the same thing where I work. I would just tell them that it is going to be a small wedding with close friends and family only. It seems like you have done well with not talking about it the wedding in front of them. Do the other co-workers know that your boss has been invited? If they continue to ask about the wedding just give very brief answers and don't go into too much detail and if they try to talk to your boss about it, ask him if he wouldn't mind "bean dipping" the conversation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't tell them anything. Just don't invite them and if they DO happen to speak to you directly about it, just tell them that you had to keep things small. Then change the subject. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks ladies, that's what I was feeling too I just hate hurt feelings.
  • Looks like you're doing a great job of not leading them on, so to speak - No you don't have to invite them. Yes they will probably be a little hurt when they find out they're actually not invited (especially if they find out that your boss DOES get to go) but they should understand. Weddings are expensive and unfortunately not everyone can be invited. You don't have to say anything unless someone outright asks you, and then just say that unfortunately you and FI couldn't accommodate everyone that you wanted.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  •  I have been running into this problem with my FI's co-workers. He is fairly good friends with all of them (about 50) and would love to invite them but that would be around 100 more guests! The reception hall can only hold 300 so we are seriously cutting our guest list just to fit close family and friends.

His co-workers have also made comments about the wedding and we see them fairly often as they have a lot of get-togethers and parties. We were thinking about maybe having another party after the reception just for his co-workers since we can't invite them to the wedding. I have no idea if this is rude or not, but we were trying to find a way to stay away from hurt feelings. Maybe a get-together with your co-workers after the wedding would keep everyone happy?

•  I have been running into this problem with my FI's co-workers. He is fairly good friends with all of them (about 50) and would love to invite them but that would be around 100 more guests! The reception hall can only hold 300 so we are seriously cutting our guest list just to fit close family and friends.

His co-workers have also made comments about the wedding and we see them fairly often as they have a lot of get-togethers and parties. We were thinking about maybe having another party after the reception just for his co-workers since we can't invite them to the wedding. I have no idea if this is rude or not, but we were trying to find a way to stay away from hurt feelings. Maybe a get-together with your co-workers after the wedding would keep everyone happy?

This would be rude.  If you're not inviting your FI's co-workers to the wedding, it would not be appropriate to invite them to any "celebration" of it before or after the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards