Wedding Invitations & Paper

My invites are ordered (pics!) Now ... when to send save the dates?

This is our invite suite. (Squee!) We're doing digitally printed save-the-dates, while the invites, RSVPs, and rehearsal dinner inserts will be letterpressed.

Our wedding is in May 2014 but it's out of town for everyone but my fiance's family. It's about a two-hour drive for my family, but we have guests on the West Coast, in Texas, and four in Scotland, all of whom will require some advanced travel plans if they can attend.

1) Do you think nine months out is sufficient/too much for sending the save-the-dates?
2) Should we indicate who will have a plus-one on the save-the-dates? There is no inner envelope, so I'm not sure how to address that, and I've heard "[Name] + Guest" on the outer envelope is gauche. Although ... who knows anymore ... just read a Brides magazine where they recommended including your Honeyfund info on the invite ...

Re: My invites are ordered (pics!) Now ... when to send save the dates?

• You already ordered your invitations? Not to freak you out or anything, but we ended up having to change venues 6 months before the wedding. I think ordering invitations 10 months out is a bit early. 

STDs should go out anywhere from 6 months to a year before the wedding. It's not necessary to indicate who will have a +1 on the STDs, but if people are making travel arrangements before you send invitations, you might let them know at some point. It's fine to put "and guest" on the outer envelope if you do not know the name of the person your guest is bringing. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14

• AddieL73 said:
    You already ordered your invitations? Not to freak you out or anything, but we ended up having to change venues 6 months before the wedding. I think ordering invitations 10 months out is a bit early. 

STDs should go out anywhere from 6 months to a year before the wedding. It's not necessary to indicate who will have a +1 on the STDs, but if people are making travel arrangements before you send invitations, you might let them know at some point. It's fine to put "and guest" on the outer envelope if you do not know the name of the person your guest is bringing. 

We've paid the deposit for the invites but we haven't designed them yet; we'll probably do that sometime in February. And I'll do "and Guest" on the outer envelope. Thanks!
    CMGr said:
    6 months is plenty of time for OOT guests to get air tickets.  Invitations should be sent 8 weeks before the wedding.
    Honeymoon funds are a bad idea.  Many people (myself included) think they are really a rude way of asking for money.  You NEVER put anything about any gifts or registries in your invitations.  That is super tacky and rude!  Don't use Bride's magazine as a source of etiquette advice.  They are the center of the wedding industry, and are only interested in $$$.
    Yeah, definitely not doing honeymoon registry. I actually asked about those on this board because I was confused; bridal mags insist that they're totally fine, but they also insist that you should pay $2500 for, I don't know, custom monogrammed toilet paper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards