Wedding Party

Short bridesmaid dress in winter?

A February wedding in NJ....will short bridesmaid dresses look funny?? Are long expected in the winter?

Re: Short bridesmaid dress in winter?

• I think it depends on the dress and fabric. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think it also depends on whether you're in northern NJ or southern NJ. There's a difference between an average high of 35 F and an average high of 47 F. Either way, I would be grateful for a long dress if I was going to be spending any amount of time outside at all. Inside only / dash to the car and back? A short dress would probably be fine as long as your venue is well-heated.
  • I wear cocktail dresses in the winter, so I see no problem with a short BM dress. That being said, depending on the dress itself, I like to wear stockings or tights to keep a little warmer if it looks nice with a dress. Are you doing pictures outside?
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

100% depends on the fabric. Flowy cotton or chiffon=automatic no.

I'd actually prefer a short dress, as I don't have to worry about the bottom of the dress getting wet from snow.

• Oh, I guess I should mention I also think that skin-colored hose are completely appropriate with any dress, even a short one, and especially in the winter.
  • Short cocktail style dresses are appropriate year round.  What should come into play is the fabric.  Flowy chiffon screams spring/summer while stain or taffeta would work any time of year but espeically fall and winter.

Also, most women who will be attending your wedding will also be wearing cockatil dresses of some sort so really it just depends on what your BMs feel more comfortable in and how fancy your wedding will be.

• Ditto PPs.    Chiffon wouldn't work in winter just as I won't wear velvet when the high can be over 90 degrees.

I wear knee length dresses year round and reserve some for the colder months.

• If the event will be mainly indoors I don't see a problem with short dresses.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As long as you are permitting your bridesmaids to wear tights or hose.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards