Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception Timing

Trying to work the out the timing and looking for feedback.  My ceremony is at 1:30pm (traditional Protestant wedding - nothing lengthy).  There will be some pictures afterward.  The reception venue is about 20 minutes away (provided there are no traffic snarls).  Is 3:30 a good time to start the reception?  (no cocktail hour)    

Re: Reception Timing

• Options
    Trying to work the out the timing and looking for feedback.  My ceremony is at 1:30pm (traditional Protestant wedding - nothing lengthy).  There will be some pictures afterward.  The reception venue is about 20 minutes away (provided there are no traffic snarls).  Is 3:30 a good time to start the reception?  (no cocktail hour)    

What do your guests do between say, 2:20 and 3:30? Start the reception after allowing for the wedding and travel time! It would be impolite to make your guests wait for you without refreshments. If you plan 30 minutes for the service, 10 minutes for mingle time, 20 minutes for travel, then start the guests' reception at 2:30.
  • Options
    Assume that your guests will go immediately after the end of the ceremony to the reception location. There should be something there for them as soon as they arrive. So refreshments of some sort need to be available at the reception no later than 20 minutes after the end of your ceremony.
  • Options
    3:30pm does seem too late.  I agree with previous posts.  Go with 2:30pm if you can

I would have gone to the reception right after the ceremony and been annoyed I had to wait around for an hour.  If you had a drinks and apps for that hour it would not be as bad but still annoying. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the honest feedback.  Will look into starting earlier.  
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It does seem a little late, perhaps you could offer them lemonade or iced tea something to serve as a cocktail hour.
  • Options
    Cocktail hour is not an hour designated to getting drunk and going crazy. It is a time where your guests are entertained by beverages ( alcoholic, non-alcoholic, or both) and appetizers, but mainly a time for you and your full wedding party and husband to get pictures. It can become chaotic to have your guests wait around for you so I would suggest 2:30 cocktail hour and then you and your husband being introduced at 3:30. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards