Pre-wedding Parties

Same day Bridal Shower/Bachelorette Party...Gifts?

I'm the MOH for my friends upcoming wedding. She lives in a different state than I do so we've decided to one bridal shower there with her family and a few friends and one same-day bridal shower/bachelorette party here. The shower guest list will include some of the bride and groom's family as well as friends, the bachelorette party will be a small group of friends. Is it okay to ask that the guests invited to both bring two gifts, one traditional (kitchen/home items) for the lunch-time shower and then something more "adult" (lingerie, toys, etc) for the evening's festivities? 

Re: Same day Bridal Shower/Bachelorette Party...Gifts?

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I'm the MOH for my friends upcoming wedding. She lives in a different state than I do so we've decided to one bridal shower there with her family and a few friends and one same-day bridal shower/bachelorette party here. The shower guest list will include some of the bride and groom's family as well as friends, the bachelorette party will be a small group of friends. Is it okay to ask that the guests invited to both bring two gifts, one traditional (kitchen/home items) for the lunch-time shower and then something more "adult" (lingerie, toys, etc) for the evening's festivities? 

No, unfortunately, you can't dictate what the guests bring as gifts.

While showers are traditionally gift-giving events, bachelorette parties are not.

Aside from the bridal party and immediate family (moms, sisters, grandmas), please make sure that no one else gets an invite to both showers.

• We are doing something similar for my best friend with the bachelorette party the night before the shower. On the bachelorette invite I just had it printed that if the guests wishes to play in a game they could bring a pair of underwear (and I added other details). They are then welcome to bring something if they wish or not, either way it doesn't matter.
  • thanks so much. i like that idea. the bride is registering for the shower, so i don't anyone to feel like they HAVE to bring anything to the bachelorette party, but we are planning on doing a similar (or most likely the same) game. and i just didn't want people to feel left out, but was unsure how the wording on the invite should go.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I went to an all-in-one bridal shower/bachelorette last summer. The MOH noted on the invitations that we'd have a lingerie shower during the bachelorette party, which to be honest, came off a little rude to me. Lingerie is expensive, and while I'm happy to bring a gift from the bride's registry for her bridal shower I'm not keen on spending $50+ on lingerie, especially after chipping in $60 to cover bachelorette party costs like food, beverages, a hotel room, and the bride's tab. 

My advice would be to have both in the same day, but skip asking for additional gifts for the bachelorette. Just enjoy an evening of girl time, games, and drinking (or however else you see fit)! 
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yes.  Just make sure that they don't get mixed up and the bride ends up opening a sex toy in front of the bride and grooms entire family!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards