Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Wedding Mad-Libs....Words of Advice...Centerpiece Give-Away

Hi girls... Just wondering...we are having about 30-35 guests...no DJ, but music will be piped in overhead....what are your thoughts on completing one of those Wedding Mad-Libs...words of advice? I was THINKING of having one of them for each guest to complete and then place it in my card box on the "gift" table. (It is my 2nd wedding) in addition, I was going to give two of my center pieces away to guests who have been married the longest...what are your thoughts on my ideas? Are they tacky? (PS...my sister and I made my 10 centerpieces) :-). Thank you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Mad-Libs....Words of Advice...Centerpiece Give-Away

• Options
    I'm not a fan of the MadLibs idea, but love the centerpiece giveaway.  Only concern with the latter would be if someone would have "won" but was recently widowed or even divorced...it could be upsetting.  With the smaller size, you can probably figure out if that might be a problem...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice....the mad lobs I was looking at actually had the mad lib on top and words of advice on bottom....just thinking of some sort of entertaining..lol lol...more of a dinner with friends and family anyways...but regardless...nice, simple and elegant. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oops, I apologize bout the typo...I meant, "mad libs"...not mad lob..lol lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you will get a lot of drunken inappropriate Mad Lib advice. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I don't really like it.  I doubt people are going to be bored enough to play a game. They'd rather be chatting, etc.  If I saw Mad Libs at a wedding, I probably wouldn't do it.  Or I'd get drunk and then do it and that leads to the problem Addie has pointed out.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs; adults don't need to be entertained like that.  Also agree that you will get a lot of inappropriate responses. What kind of music will be "piped in?" (ie: will it just be nice background music or did you mean you're not having a DJ, but there will still be dancing?) If there will be any kind of dancing, I would rather have my guests on the dance floor than sitting at the table filling out Mad Libs. 

• Options
    Your "married longest" guests may not want or be able to take home centerpieces, especially if they flew in from out of town.

Is it possible for you to donate centerpieces to a non-profit if that's the case?
  • Options
    Good ideas ladies....I very much appreciate your responses..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I dislike any "prizes" or "awards" for being the "longest married" couple, because for a widow/widower or someone who is recently divorced, it can just cause a lot of hurt/uncomfortable feelings.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    Just a caution about the Madlibs-my friend had them at her wedding, one per place setting, and only about 10% of people filled them out. No one had a pen, people spilled food on them, the glasses sweat on them, etc. It ended up just being a waste.

Personally I'm not a fan of giving away the centerpieces, just because it's not done in my circle. The one time I did see it no one wanted them. But some of the girls on my month board said people in their area practically brawl over them. So know your circle.
  • Options
    How about picking a date and whoever has the closest birthday to that date at each table wins the centerpiece?  I agree with the previous posts that the longest married couple could be awkward for some people.
  • Options
    The mad libs things to me has always been more of a bachelorette party activity - raunchy and inappropriate, which is great fun in that setting. As a guest, I would probably try to fill one out at a wedding just to be polite, but I would have a hard time keeping it proper :-)
  • Options
    MajideMajide member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013

Drats, I was hoping to do the mad libs thing too.  I would need to add pens to my checklist to make sure people can fill them out.  I'm hoping there are some people out there who have done them and have had good experiences...  But so far all I've seen are picture from Pinterest.

As for giving away the centerpieces, my sister intended for people to take home the centerpieces, and nobody really did.  I did, my fiance did, and the parents did, but I don't know that anyone else took them.  My sister ended up decorating her living room with all of the leftover centerpieces and candles from her wedding.

So I wouldn't really expect people to want to take home centerpieces anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards