July 2013 Weddings

Post-wedding depression

So I will write up a post later on our amazing wedding, but right now, I am having a terrible time. I am feeling so depressed and sad and can't stop crying... IN MEXICO!!! Does anyone have any advice? All I want is to enjoy my honeymoon... This is so short because we have limited access to wifi.

Re: Post-wedding depression

• Hmm, is it something about the ceremony?
  • awe. can you just use this time ro reflect on one of the most iimportant moments in your life. I'm sure it can all be overwhelming at first. Think about the new awesome journey you're about to take with your new hubby! This too shall pass!! Congratulations
  • I hope it gets better for you.  Try and enjoy your time with your Hubby in Mexico :)
  • One of my friends got super depressed immediately after her wedding. Honestly, that's why I haven't let my life revolve around planning a party.

Focus on the future--I saw from one of your past posts that you're in Puerto Vallarta--it's GORGEOUS there. We went last October and had so much fun doing awesome stuff. Go to the zoo and pay extra for the VIP package. You get to play with monkeys & tigers and feed all the other animals. That will make you feel better. Promise.
  • Wheels987 said:
    One of my friends got super depressed immediately after her wedding. Honestly, that's why I haven't let my life revolve around planning a party.

Focus on the future--I saw from one of your past posts that you're in Puerto Vallarta--it's GORGEOUS there. We went last October and had so much fun doing awesome stuff. Go to the zoo and pay extra for the VIP package. You get to play with monkeys & tigers and feed all the other animals. That will make you feel better. Promise.
    That sounds like so much fun! @jackie enjoy your honeymoon, you are going to have many other joyous occasions in your life ahead with your husband, your wedding is just the beginning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I understand what you are going through. I was crying a lot on Day 1 of our honeymoon and sadness persisted for a couple more days. Most of it was related to how fast it all went (partially due to fact that officiant was over an hour late so we missed time there). Also, day of and due to the fact that the officiant was late, my string quartet that I looked forward to so much (used to play violin myself and miss playing in a group), left before our ceremony :-(. The day of I kept calm I think because I had everyone around me and I was just excited to be getting married... Then I just lost it on our drive to our honeymoon. The rest of the day was really truly perfect so I felt even guilty that I was upset. So anyways, enough about my story. Here's what helped me though:

Talked to my MOH who told me she also cried the day after
    Talked to my HUSBAND :) a lot. Didn't try to keep anything in
    Thanked people on FB and email (parents, vendors, guests, bridal party)
    Talked to friends and went on FB and watched the compliments and likes gather over our photos and video
    We received a video clip and pics from our videographer which was so amazing/hilarious. Showed with others attending the wedding who loved
    Went on a boat tour today to see the wild ponies on Chincoteague/Assateague. It was so relaxing.
    Got a room upgrade (inadvertently after our bathroom got a leak, the hotel gave it to us lol)

Overall, I think time and not trying to bury my feelings has helped the most. I hope you are feeling better soon. Keep us posted!
  • drg424drg424 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

Yup not alone! I am a bit bummed too because it feels like it went so fast and I got so spun up I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I wanted, or ensure the things that I planned to happen did. I wish I could do it over with hindisight being what it is :(

BUT we are married!

I am actually glad we went on a beach trip instead of a honeymoon - I wouldn't have enjoyed it. I am gonig to surprise husband with a trip somewhere in the next few months when we are more relaxed and can appreciate each other.

I also feel like I barely saw my husband at the reception :(

• I too felt/feel VERY bummed out following my wedding. Mostly it's about some regrets that I have about the day, and some anger/disappointment that I feel towards the behaviour of some of my family on the day. I am 90% thrilled with how everything went... but that last 10% is really bothering me. I am trying to let it go, and stop dwelling on the few negative bits when the majority of everything was so perfect.

This morning our photographer posted 32 'Sneak Peek' photos on facebook, and I have to say... seeing those images has REALLY lifted my spirits. I am seeing for the first time just how gorgeous the day looked and felt, and it has really changed my view on things. I hope that maybe seeing your photos will do the same for you!
  • It is overwhelming when everything just stops! All the planning, stressing, deadlines, everything in our life revolved around our weddings! It is tough to realize that it's done, pretty much with the blink of an eye!
    I feel like, and I'm NOT complaining at all, with finding out we were pregnant before the wedding day, my mind was already out of wedding mode before the big day. It totally shifted my mind-frame from "omg, my wedding day!!" to "crap, how am I going to act normal when I'm trying to be so cautious". Again, not complaining, but I think it's also helped me with the post-wedding sadness.

Obviously, we're all here for support and advice! We're all probably going through similar emotions! I LOVE that we have had each other through all of this and hope that we all keep in touch through here!!!

PS - who will join me in "PREGNANT" status?!?!?!?! C'mon ladies!!! haha :)
  • I'm currently pregnant as well!!! I found out a while ago though. So I guess technically someone joined me:) Congrats! @kls33145
  • drg424drg424 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    We're trying, too :) I'm two days late actually but got a BFN this a.m. No biggie, it's our fist "go." I hope to join you soon and, again, BIG congrats to you both! :)
  • totally trying to join you guys! unfortunately, DH had to go right back to work after the wedding so we're in the middle of a ten day stint apart before our honeymoon (a week from today) so we haven't really gotten a chance to "try" lol. here's hoping we can make some magic in Hawaii! and going back to the OP, I can totally relate, mostly because DH is out of town and I don't even have the joys of being a newlywed with my Husband to distract me from the lack of wedding planning, My suggestion is to find something equally time consuming (but hopefully less stressful!) to fill your time. I'm planning honeymoon activities and working on financial planning for my grandma which is nowhere near as fun but totally taking my mind off of not planning the wedding anymore!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I feel a little depressed, too. It went so quickly and it was so much fun. So many people we haven't seen in a while or don't get to see a lot were there, and groups of people were back together. I feel like I didn't get to spend enough time with everyone. I also didn't get to try a lot of our cocktail hour food and didn't see how the outside half of cocktail hour looked.  I wish it could have been a multiple day affair so I could have spent more time with everyone.
  • Thanks to everyone who replied!! Thankfully, I got over it, and the rest of my honeymoon was wonderful (you were right! Puerto vallarta was amazing!!!). I was starting to just be happy about being with my husband and getting excited about moving when we got back. This is my first day back at work, and the first time I felt sad was in Starbucks. That was where I had done most of my planning and phone calls with vendors, etc. it just made me sad that every day things aren't going to be the same. I'm glad the stress is over, but the excitement was what kept me going every day! Now, don't get me wrong, I'm excited to be married, but my husband will be leaving in a month for Marine basic training, so this kind of takes away from it.
  • I have fallen into a bit of a slump myself. Mostly because finances are not good right now and we had a lot of non-grifters at the wedding. My MIL told us to spend all we had for the wedding because we would definitely get it back, she said this to justify inviting more people than we could afford. In the end though, we didnt and now I am in the process of trying to look for another job and ask myself what's next. We really want to move out of IL and to WA but that's not until next year. So I really don't have anything new to put my efforts toward. We already have two children and want to plan for another but that is not until next year. So...yea I am in a bit of a funk. It sucks.
  • I completely agree with you. DH's dad talked us into inviting his side of the family hubby didn't want to invite and barely knew. We did, and not ONE of them gave us a gift! But what can you do...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards