Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception Performances?

My FI has a very unique hobby, he spins poi. Poi is basically a ball attactched to a string that is spun around to make dofferent formations and and pictures. You can either use LED lights or fire for the balls at the end of the rope. Obviously fire is not an option at a wedding. But would it be awkward or irritating for guests if my FI and some of his buddies spun their poi during the dance portion of the reception?

For the record, he and his buddies want to do this. I am just not sure how our guests would react.

Re: Reception Performances?

• Options
    The one thing to avoid is anything that smacks of turning your guests into a captive audience at your reception.  If this is going on during the dance portion, and the guests are welcome to dance themselves or otherwise mingle while this is going on, I think it's fine.  But if everyone is supposed to stop and watch this, it wouldn't be.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it after everyone has gotten up to dance.  People may be irritated after they're staring to get their party on and then have to go sit back down or get hit in the head with a fire ball.  If you really want to do this, maybe do it during the entrances?  But I wouldn't make it go on for too long. Personally, I don't know how much I'd dig it, but if you kept it short, it could be ok?
  • Options

Personally I absolutely hate performances during the reception.  I find them completely AWish and boring to watch.  I went to one wedding where the bridal party had choreographed a dance.  It was embarrassing to watch and the look on almost every guest was one of "WTF?"

I understand that this is one of your FI hobbies but I think it should be kept as a hobby.  People want to go to a wedding to mingle with guests and congratulate the couple.  They typically do not want to be forced to watch a performance just because the groom or bride has a hobby they want to showcase.

• Options
    I think it would be really awkward. People want to celebrate with you, not sit and watch you exhibit.

Anyone who is interested in seeing it can watch another time.
  • Options
    Skip the performance.  It's a wedding, not a talent show.
  • Options
    I would pass.
  • Options
    It's your wedding not a show. Skip the performance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Another vote for skipping this. I am not a fan of performances at weddings wither. 
  • Options
    I think it depends on your crowd.  I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where some of the family members did an Irish step dance and it was amazing.  I genuinely enjoyed it.  But the silly choreographed wedding party dances and stuff I can't stand.  Then again I don't really enjoy any of the scripted dancing at weddings...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would find this really awkward if this happened at a wedding I attended.
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I could see perhaps doing a performance )where others are not dancing or on the dance floor) for the guests for a short while.  But not during the dance, I could just see people getting whacked and feeling awkward, thinking "Do we dance or?".
  • Options
    I don't think this works well.  It's something that doesn't lend itself to dancing or a party environment.  People will feel like they need to stop what they're doing to watch and it will just stop the flow of the party.

I did have two performances during the reception- two of my musician friends sang during the dancing portion of the night, but they sang dance songs and it only made people more excited to dance- it didn't stop the flow at all.

Even if you do this before the dancing, I think performances like that look very AW because people will feel the need to give undivided attention and nobody really wants to do that- they want to eat and socialize. 

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards