Students

Any girls in a man's field?

I am a Land Surveying major. I am the only girl in a group of about 17 guys. Just wanting to know if there are any of you out there in the same situation?

Re: Any girls in a man's field?

• I'm a diesel mechanic/technology major. I'm in a group with about 20 guys in my class and 30 in the freshmen class there is another girl now in the freshman class.
  • Not anymore but I worked in as an EMT for a year, I was frequently the only female on the job. I'd say out of a roster of 50 employees only 5 were female.  It really sucked at first. With the increasing rates of obesity we were mandated to take physical agility tests performed by the hospitals PT department; the requirements for females were less than that for males.  However, some of my male coworkers did not exactly decrease their expectations, and then there were some that were shocked at my abilities. 
  • I got my degree in Aviation Studies.  I'm a pilot and my goal is to work for the airlines.  Of all the pilots in the world, only about 1-3% are women!  So I feel your pain :-D  Most of the time the male pilots I come across treat me like one of the guys.  Occasionally I encounter the guy who thinks women shouldn't fly or that he's better than me, but then I remind myself that I'm good at what I do and he's probably just threatened by me.
    imageAnniversary
  • The primary function of my seminary is to train pastors; therefore, the vast majority of students are male (women aren't allowed into the M.Div. program since there's no non-ordination track). We're a wee school - only about 150 students or thereabouts. There are 10 women this year training either for further studies or vocational ministry of some sort (teaching at a school, counselling, etc.). So, strictly speaking, none of us are in a male-dominated field, but we're in a male-dominated school. It's great, though, I love hanging out with the guys in the library and getting into random discussions about biblical languages and the weirdness of dead German liberal theologians.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Most of my accounting classes have been between 40 and 100 people. In the smaller classes, there have only been a couple girls. In classes of 100, there have been 5-10 girls. But I have met a ton of women in the accounting industry. So, based on my classes, I'd say I am, but I'm not really sure that it's true. I've met way too many women accountants to feel like I could say I'm in a man's field.
    Anniversary
  • edited April 2010
    Going into residency to become a radiologist and while my medical school class was 2/3 women, radiology is still a very male-dominated field and to top it off I am in the Army.  As far as I know I was the only woman this year to apply for radiology and there are only about 5 women in the residency total (across first yr residents to 5th year residents). 

I don't really mind it though, the guys are pretty easy going and I can talk football all day with them, haha!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As an undergrad I was severely in the minority as a chemistry major - the only one out of maybe 15 getting a B.S., plus there were two other girls getting a B.A. (so they didn't take classes with us after the second year).  It kind of sucked, and when I went to conferences it was painfully apparent how few women are in chemistry. 

As a graduate student, though, it's about 50/50 in the biological sciences, maybe even a little skewed towards females.  Unfortunately the statistics are that the majority of women with advanced degrees will wind up not moving on to careers in science, so the field remains male-dominated, but at least it's a start.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_girls-mans-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:07c73489-61b3-4d3f-8add-c266609a1d14Post:27920924-199c-4ab2-97a0-bfe838bfd506">Re: Any girls in a man's field?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The primary function of my seminary is to train pastors; therefore, the vast majority of students are male (women aren't allowed into the M.Div. program since there's no non-ordination track). We're a wee school - only about 150 students or thereabouts. There are 10 women this year training either for further studies or vocational ministry of some sort (teaching at a school, counselling, etc.). So, strictly speaking, none of us are in a male-dominated field, but we're in a male-dominated school. It's great, though, <strong>I love hanging out with the guys in the library and getting into random discussions about biblical languages and the weirdness of dead German liberal theologians.</strong>
    Posted by jrpetrik[/QUOTE]

Im working on my MDiv in Biblical and Theological Studies, I love the languages,(although greek is killingme) and the dead german theologians, the germans write the heaviest books. :)
    Our school does admit women to the MDiv program sice it does ordination separate, since we have something like 40 denominations represented. But yes its mostly men, and the women are mostly the wives of faculty and staff who get to take free classes. I am one of the few under 40, and probly the only woman hoping to pursue acedemia.
  • Not anymore, but when I was in school trying to become a firefighter I was often the only girl in most of my fire tech classes. It was fine with me I acctually made a couple of really great guy friends that I still talk to but yeah it was fine with me becuase I got plenty of respect cuz I usually knew the answers to most of the questions (I'm a nerd, I'll admit it)
  • I am in animal production, which is a division of the College of Agriculture. I thought that it would be predominantly male, but it turns out that about 50% of the students in my classes are female, which makes it a bit easier to make friends. However, once I graduate in December, it isn't likely that I will be able to find a job in the industry I would prefer, which is in equine management (horses, etc), mainly because the horse market is crap-tastic and nobody is hiring. So I recently took a full-time job at my school's butcher block, which is full of perverted guys and a handful of girls. But it's fun, and I get to play with knives :). That should at least get me to graduation, but the career search continues...
  • I'm an International Relations PhD student. Surprisingly, I am one of three women in the cohort. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am a Math/Computer Science major.  Only girl in classes of 100.  Go figure. :)
  • I am an agriculture major at UF. I LOVE what I do and love that i can be different than the other girls. My fiance wasn't exactly cool with the thought of me being in classes with all men, all day. But a few months before we were engaged he really came around and realized how cool it was to have a girlfriend who was feminine and who could also hang out and talk with the guys.
    :) Good luck to you!!!
    *Soon to be Mrs. Horne*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards