Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Themed wedding cake proving difficult

Hi all,

My fiance and I had a great idea for our wedding that we are having difficulty bringing into reality. For our cake, we would like have a dragon curling around the tiers. We found a few cake decorators willing to tackle this, but we're having issues with cake toppers. We would really like to have the bride and groom topper posed to be fighting off the dragon. We'd also like to have individual toppers for the wedding party (6 in all) also posed to be fighting the dragon (we'd later give these to the party as gifts).

Finding someone to make these figures for us that would be realistic looking (not bobble head or cartoony) looks like it will cost thousands of dollars. So I've looked into DIY things. I've tried to find modeling kits for figures that I could put together and paint myself, but I have only been able to come across kits for anime characters, train sets, or D&D figures, nothing for normal looking people to fit on a cake.

I've also seen the DIY clothes pin wedding toppers. At that point, we're getting more into the cartoony area, but if I'm going to have to pull this off myself, that might be where we have to go. However, I'm not sure these kinds of toppers will work well in action poses.

Any ideas, tips, help, etc, you might have would be appreciated. We'd really like to make this a reality.

Re: Themed wedding cake proving difficult

• I would check out Etsy, they have a lot of cake toppers that can be customized specific for you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have contacted one person on Etsy and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm not sure how many people out there are willing to tackle cake toppers for a whole wedding party...
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

If you're looking for a budget idea, why not take pictures of your WP members in various "fighting" poses, print on matte photo paper, cut them out, glue to some foam board, and stick into the cake with some toothpicks.

TBH, I don't know anyone who would want a cake topper model of themselves as a "gift" anyways.

• It isn't cheap, but it also isn't thousands of dollars-you could do custom Lego mini-figs of each person. 
  • The mattle photo paper is an idea. I have seen some nice of those. It's a thought.

A friend of mine also mentioned the lego minis. Those might be cute.

Thanks for your suggests.
  • When FIs son was into HeroScape (?) we found people on ebay who made custom pieces and figures - you could try that route...

• did you go to place that make cermanics...

art festival listing...

else fail..may an art student

• MajideMajide member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment

The lady who is doing our cake has done all sorts of other cakes for our friends in the past.  And one of them had a little fondant version of our friend on the cake.  Though that is still looking a bit cartoony too, since I'm sure it's difficult to be really detailed with fondant.

And then our friends will usually pick a piece of the fondant "art" and save it afterwards :)

I totally forgot about the dragon cake idea!  I have seen some dragon cakes on pinterest, and forgot when it came time to plan the cake.  Good luck, and post pictures after! :D

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    http://www.gardenninja.com/commissions/cake-topper-commission-request-form/  Here is someone that does custom cake toppers
     Also, you could see if the bakery that is making your cake will also make little figurines of you all, however they wouldn't be able to be gifts for your wedding party that way.  Here is a cake with custom figurines that I believe is edible:
  • Thanks for all your help. I found a lovely lady on Etsy who has agreed to the do the pieces at $65 a figure. Definitely the best price I've been able to find and she does great detail.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Thanks for all your help. I found a lovely lady on Etsy who has agreed to the do the pieces at $65 a figure. Definitely the best price I've been able to find and she does great detail.

@heidirs731

SIXTY FIVE DOLLARS A FIGURE?!?!

Good lord I hope you're kidding. Spending Almost $600 on your wedding cake topper is obscene.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards