Maine

Outside Ceremony in Portland

I would really LOVE to have our wedding ceremony outside but I'm not sure if there is a good place in Portland. I heard that Portland Headlights may be an option but they don't allow chairs? Anyone know of any nice place for a ceremony in Portland. Even if we had to have the wedding in the church and had a nice area near it to take pictures, that would be fine as well!! We are probably going to have our Reception at the Marriott at Sable Oaks so all we need is a ceremony location. Any info would be appreciated. :)

Re: Outside Ceremony in Portland

• ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Any of the state parks should be able to accommodate you, I'm getting married at Fort Popham. All it takes is a letter to the department of conservation and possibly a small fee depending on which park you choose. The SMCC campus is another option, it's gorgeous, and there is a lighthouse on campus, or you can look out over the ocean and see Portland Headlight. 
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • edited December 2011

Bug Light in South Portland, Fort Williams, Portland Headlight, if you just want to take pictures outside you could do the Eastern Prom!  Good luck!

• Bunnybride79Bunnybride79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm looking for the same thing! Though not necessarily a lighthouse. Definitely beautiful and outdoors though!
  • edited December 2011
    I am pretty sure you can set up chairs for at Portland Headlight, but it only has to be for those  that need it (elderly, handicapp etc.) I think you could get away with having parents seated as well. 

If your ceremony isnt going to be very long, I don't see why folks couldn't stand for a half hour.

Other options, Deering Oaks, Eastern Prom, there is a public park in Scarborough.  Just remember to have a rain site back up.
  • edited December 2011
    i got married at Fort Williams/portland head light just over a month ago.  All of our guests stood and as far as i know...it was not a problem and no one complained.  Word had gotten around there wasn't any seating before as well.  The ceremony was short and to the point.  We did it by the light house, but there are sooo many locations around the fort that are really pretty and not focusing on the light house.  So many great photo ops as well!  Also another great thing was there was plenty of parking and easy to find for everyone.  
  • edited December 2011
    A friend of mine got married on the SMCC campus; they had their ceremony and reception there. Was beautifully done - highly recommend it!
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know if they let you set up chairs if you use the picnic shelter?  We were hoping to reserve it for our ceremony next July but don't want people standing. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I think the picnic shelter has picnic tables in it.

Here I found this online...

http://www.capeelizabeth.com/fw_wed_part_app.pdf
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It does have tables but they can be removed.  The last time I was there (I live in Portland), most of the tables were outside of the shelter already. 

I want to set up chairs in there for everyone - not just the eldery or handicapped.  Every person I contact says "Call this person instead..."  I'm having a hard time finding an affordable place to have our ceremony outside with chairs.  Having people seated is important to me.

Update - Finally talked to someone with a real answer...you CAN set up chairs for as many people as you want in the picnic shelter as long as you move the picnic tables back in after you are done!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • meg213fmeg213f member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much everyone!!! It's very helpful!! The picnic shelter is a good idea as well!
  • edited December 2011
    Have you checked into Ft. Allen Park in Portland?  It's over at the Eastern Prom.  Beautiful views, and I know of a couple folks that have had ceremonies there.
    August 28th, HERE I COME!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards