Catholic Weddings

NFP Funny

I had to buy a new thermometer (left mine at the hotel last week - oops!). Written all over the package is "CONCEPTION AID ONLY. NOT TO BE USED FOR CONTRACEPTIVE PURPOSES".

I find this funny as temperature only really helps to confirm that you may no longer be fertile. It can't confirm when you are ovulating, only that you have already ovulated. Really, it's not the best tool to use for trying to conceive (on its own). It's only used for analyzing your timing after-the-fact. So, to call it a tool for conception and NOT contraception is a bit silly.

I also find it sad that the reason they put that warning is that they don't trust the NFP method or the users of the method and want to cover their arses in case someone gets pregnant while trying to avoid. It gives us NFPers a bad rap. For the record - Fertility Friend also has these warnings on their site, likely for the same reasons.

Re: NFP Funny

• shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's funny, and depressing at the same time.  It's really sad how little the general population knows about female fertility.  But you know the reason they put that on there was probable because someone tried to sue for getting pregnant from "using a their thermometer"
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with Shawna.. depressing and funny at the same time.  Unfortunately nowadays people will sue for anything, so I don't blame them for covering their butts.
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    yes, yes, and yes. Undecided
    Anniversary
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone posted on another board I frequent that she was taking her temperature to know when she should have sex in regards to actually TTC... so it is really a common misconception.

There was a Friends episode I think where Monica was TTC and she took her temperature (like in the middle of the day too) and runs around screaming with her thermometer that it was time to have sex or something. So media doesn't really aid these matters.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-funny?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:103d69f2-d8ec-4301-b892-a6b51c1c8285Post:2c01a5c5-3de8-4faf-af55-2f876d6a4998">Re: NFP Funny</a>:
    [QUOTE]Someone posted on another board I frequent that she was taking her temperature to know when she should have sex in regards to actually TTC... so it is really a common misconception.<strong> There was a Friends episode I think where Monica was TTC and she took her temperature (like in the middle of the day too) and runs around screaming with her thermometer that it was time to have sex or something. So media doesn't really aid these matters.
    </strong>Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

I am the go-to for anything Friends related, and I can tell you that never happened.  It must have been another show.  She kept using ovulation sticks.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-funny?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:103d69f2-d8ec-4301-b892-a6b51c1c8285Post:2c01a5c5-3de8-4faf-af55-2f876d6a4998">Re: NFP Funny</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Someone posted on another board I frequent that she was taking her temperature to know when she should have sex in regards to actually TTC... so it is really a common misconception.</strong> There was a Friends episode I think where Monica was TTC and she took her temperature (like in the middle of the day too) and runs around screaming with her thermometer that it was time to have sex or something. So media doesn't really aid these matters.
    Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

<div>One of my coworkers has been trying to get pregnant for a while now and isn't having any luck.  She told me the other day that she's been taking her temperature to try to determine when the best time is.  We're biology teachers.  =(</div>
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards