Wedding Woes

HELP!! How Do We Notify Guests Wedding Has Been Decreased To "Family Only?"

sweeksysweeksy member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited July 2013 in Wedding Woes

Due to my mother's recent cancer diagnosis, we have decided to decrease the number of wedding guests to family only to help with cost.  The only problem with this is we have already sent out our save-the-dates to our 350 guests.  What is a cute/witty way of notifying our guests of this so that nobody thinks anything "wrong" has happened?  Note: our wedding is in October....

Re: HELP!! How Do We Notify Guests Wedding Has Been Decreased To "Family Only?"

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Don't go for cutey/witty (it'll come off badly)--go for informative and apologetic.

"dear guests,

Because of the health of Sweeksy's mother, we are scaling down the wedding.  We apologize for any inconvenience, but only immediate family will be attending the event.
    We do look forward to celebrating our newly married status with you on X date (<if you're planning any sort of delayed/casual reception)

Thanks for your understanding,
    The family.
  • Thank you, GBCK.  The thing is, we're not yet ready to announce to everyone of her diagnosis....
  • OP when you post in two places you must -XP in the title. You don't have to tell everyone why. Go to the other post and read those responses.
  • I apologize, I have never posted anything in the message boards so was unaware of the etiquette.

• sweeksy said:

I apologize, I have never posted anything in the message boards so was unaware of the etiquette.

No problem. This is an unfortunate situation. I would definitely. Send out cancellation notices, move your date, and then invite just the smaller group.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  If you aren't ready to divulge the diagnosis then I'd just do something simple.  "Due to circumstances beyond our control, blah, blah."  You may get some raised eyebrows, but when people hear the reason they'll get it.    Anyone who doesn't get it is an ass.
  • I agree with @6fsn:

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have decided to scale back the wedding to include immediate family only. Thank you for your understanding."
    sorry about your mother. 
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    As I said on your other thread...there's no way to do this.

You aren't scaling back to immediate family...you are trying to cut a 350 person wedding down to a 200 person wedding.

There isn't a polite way to do this.  Regardless of whether or not your mother has been diagnosed with cancer...there is no polite way to still hold a wedding with 200 guests, a band, etc. and NOT offend the 150+ people you're trying to cut from the guest list just a few months out.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards