Wedding Etiquette Forum

Pantsuit/Trouser Suit for Bridemaid

Hi Everyone...so here is my situation: I have 3 bridesmaids. One is my sister (maid of honor), and the other two are my cousins. We're starting to look at dresses and the only thing I ask is for the color and material to be the same and above all, for them to comfortable. With that said, one of my cousins prefers a more masculine and relaxed style. With that said, can anyone suggest ideas for pant/trouser suits appropriate for a bridesmaid? OR would it be ok for her to match the groomsmen? My sister and other cousin will be wearing a lavender dress (not sure what length yet).

Thanks all!

Re: Pantsuit/Trouser Suit for Bridemaid

• I'd look into MOB/MOG lines by the same people you're looking at for dresses. They might have something that is close or complimentary.
  • Does she want a suit? Or a pant-blouse combo?

I think that as long as her outfit goes with the rest of the colors/fabric "look" the BP is in (if men are in black suits and maids are in lavender satin dresses, maybe black pants with a satiny lavender top) then it should be fine, and easy to accommodate.

Just try and pick a fabric that is easy to find a top in.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013

Lavender suits are really old-lady-church-wear ish.

Personally I'd ask her what she'd be comfortable in are you sure she wouldn't wear a dress?

What about a super sharp modern tailored suit from a store like Express and a Lavender dress blouse?

ETA: Here's a lavender blazer for example. Blechhhh

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom//liz-claiborne/alfred-dunner-notting-hill-pleated-pocket-solid-jacket-/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002570731&catId=cat100260321&deptId=dept20000013&N=1446&topDim=Color&topDimvalue=purples&dimCombo=Color%7C&dimComboVal=purples%7C&currentDim=Color&currentDimVal=purples

• what about palazzo pants (super wide somewhat flows like a skirt)?  black ones with a nice lavender top would probably be great
  • lavila85 said:
    Hi Everyone...so here is my situation: I have 3 bridesmaids. One is my sister (maid of honor), and the other two are my cousins. We're starting to look at dresses and the only thing I ask is for the color and material to be the same and above all, for them to comfortable. With that said, one of my cousins prefers a more masculine and relaxed style. With that said, can anyone suggest ideas for pant/trouser suits appropriate for a bridesmaid? OR would it be ok for her to match the groomsmen? My sister and other cousin will be wearing a lavender dress (not sure what length yet).

Thanks all!

It's certainly ok for her to match the groomsmen, or she can buy a women's suit and buy a coordinating shirt or even tie. Really, it's up to her, whatever she feels comfortable in. We had two female attendants (in addition to my spouse, who is female) wear tuxedos. They looked awesome. Talk to her about what she feels most comfortable in. A suit designed for males, or a suit cut for females. Depending on her shape, the men's suit might fit her better.

This is a photo of our wedding party. One of the people in a tux was 6 months' pregnant at the time. :)

• mstallae said:
    what about palazzo pants (super wide somewhat flows like a skirt)?  black ones with a nice lavender top would probably be great

OP already said MOH prefers masculine clothing. Why in the world would she want a pair of pants that flows like a skirt?
  • True QF I was just thinking its an option that's more "dressed up" feeling than a straighter cut pant maybe?

Also this way she might not stand out so much from the rest of the "female" side of the WP if she didn't want to - but if she's more comfortable matching the men or wearing a suit cut for a woman as long as the colour scheme matches the rest of the BP she can fill her boots!
  • mstallae said:
    True QF I was just thinking its an option that's more "dressed up" feeling than a straighter cut pant maybe?

Also this way she might not stand out so much from the rest of the "female" side of the WP if she didn't want to - but if she's more comfortable matching the men or wearing a suit cut for a woman as long as the colour scheme matches the rest of the BP she can fill her boots!

I hear you... I guess I would never assume that "dressed up" for someone that prefers masculine clothing would be something that looks like a skirt.  Any sort of tailored pants suit would be great.   I also think I'm probably a little more sensitive to this, since my partner wears masculine clothing, and wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt.

• well, hell. I'm not sure why the photo didn't post... freakin TK

The color of those dresses is just stunning!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • There's always this:

In all seriousness, it's fine for her to match the groomsmen, wear a blouse the same color/fabric as the other 'maids with pants (could match the groomsmen to coordinate), check out pants suit options (I think you'll have a hard time finding this), etc. As long as you're fine with it, she can wear whatever she wants. Find a couple of options you're ok with and send to her. Let her know they're fine in addition to the dresses if she decides to go that route. She'll have several options and can make her choice from there. It's really sweet of you to accommodate specific requests for their attire - I'm sure she appreciates it.
    *********************************************************************************

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Talk with her and get an idea of what she's comfortable with, within her budget. In her shoes, I'd probably wear a suit similar to the groomsmen's attire (so if they're wearing black suits, a black suit), or wear pants of that suit color and, like @ItzMS suggested, a lavender dress blouse.

At the end of the day, I can promise you that you will look at your photos and think, "What a wonderful day this was! Everyone looks so excited and happy!" and not, "Darn, her pants don't EXACTLY match the groomsmen's!"
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • mstallae said:
    True QF I was just thinking its an option that's more "dressed up" feeling than a straighter cut pant maybe?

I hear you... I guess I would never assume that "dressed up" for someone that prefers masculine clothing would be something that looks like a skirt.  Any sort of tailored pants suit would be great.   I also think I'm probably a little more sensitive to this, since my partner wears masculine clothing, and wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt.

My BM who wanted pants actually designed herself a pair of palazzo pants. Our groomsmaid who wanted pants wore straight-legged trousers.  Both were lightweight pants (satin or chiffon, I think?), and they wore them with satin tops.  Both looked very nice and were as dressy as the two girls in knee length sleeveless BM dresses.  

I don't have any good photos of them here at work, but they both wore tops in our wedding color (celedon - a very pale green) and the pants a light gray.  Pastel pants on women just always look old and frumpy, so we let them choose a neutral pant that flattered the top color.

And the palazzo pants weren't the super huge ones, but the more fitted ones that are still very flowy without looking like a long skirt. Like these...

ETA:  That being said, I think it's important to note whether the BM is actually masculine (and therefore likely to prefer a more tailored fit) or just more relaxed and dislikes skirts (like me and my BM) but not specifically masculine.  In the second case, palazzo pants are great because they look dress and are COMFY while still allowing women like me to not have to worry about if we have to try and climb a ladder unexpectedly while wearing them.

And you'd be surprised how many times I've been called "masculine" when what they really meant was "not very girly".

Yeah... that's what I was trying to say, but you said it better.   Not liking skirts or dresses isn't the same as masculine.     People are dumb sometimes.
  • Wow! Thanks for your input everyone! I will be circling back with my cousin to understand where her comfort zone is and go from there, but you gave me some good ideas. I really appreciate everyone's advise on this.

@QF - Thanks for sharing your pics....BTW...I LOVE the mariachi attire!

G'nite all!
  • TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013
  • Thanks Stage and QF .. I honestly didn't mean any offense to any females who like to dress in a "masculine way".  People have the right to be comfortable whatever that means for them dressing masculine-ly, feminine-ly whatever. 

I don't mean a female in a nice tailored suit doesn't look "dressed up" I think that may have come out a bit wrong.. was just presenting an option. 

I liked the style of those pants you showed in the picture there Stage - that was the look I was meaning but anyhow - again not trying to be offensive in any way to people who prefer to dress in a less traditional way - I have no problems with that!
  • If I wanted to find a female tuxedo to rent or even a large chain that will rent tuxes to women, where should I start? My fiancé and I are having a hard time finding the right suit for a female groomsman.
  • edited January 2014
    Treka37 said:
    If I wanted to find a female tuxedo to rent or even a large chain that will rent tuxes to women, where should I start? My fiancé and I are having a hard time finding the right suit for a female groomsman.
    Does your female groomsman want to wear a tux, or is that just what you and your FI want her to wear since she's on the groom's side?  If she wants to wear a tux, does she prefer a feminine-tailored option or more masculine tailoring?
  • Treka37 This is an old thread, next time you have a question could you please post a new discussion?  Where are you and/or the groomslady/groomsmaid located?  Here are a couple places I found that rent tuxes to women: 
    http://www.abetterdealtuxedo.com/blog/2013/08/07/suit-and-tuxedo-rentals-for-132322
    http://www.tuxedojunction-lv.com/tuxedosdetails.php?id=Mzc0Ng==
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards