Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bad Advice From Pinterest

Groan. This was posted by one of my college friends on Pinterest today:

"If you know a loved one won't be able to make it to your wedding but you still want them to have an invitation (without the pressure of sending a gift), add a note along in the envelope explaining that you are sending it as a keepsake."

So... "I'm not actually inviting you to my wedding cause I don't think you can come, but I just want you to know I'm getting married and you can keep my invitation!"

Really?

Pinterest makes me cringe.... a lot.

Re: Bad Advice From Pinterest

• Oy.

Pinterest can be fun. I like looking at pretty wedding pictures. But it has to be taken with a grain of salt, and I wonder how many people do. I mostly cringe because of the absurd oversimplifying of DIY projects."I'm totally making this complicated centerpieces out of pipe cleaners and glitter!" and "this make-a-mimosa bar will be a snap for the morning of the wedding!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

White Knot

• I like Pinterest for looking at wedding pictures for inspiration/ideas.  I also use it to pin things that I come across but don't have time to read or want to remember, but I don't think it's super useful beyond that.  

I hate that terrible ideas can be re-pinned a million times because no one actually tries/verifies the idea before they re-pin it.  So that "super easy" DIY ends up being hard for a craft ninja.  And the "yummy" recipe reposted a million times actually tastes like crap.

And then there's the terrible advice, which takes it to a whole new level of horrible.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I knew I wanted to a card box made out of frames and I actually found a DIY on Pinterest that was actually right and somewhat easy. I like step by step stuff with pictures!
  • I like pinterest for decoration ideas like cake and bouquets to show vendors.  I am not a DIY person at all.  There are so many bad wedding ideas on pinterest it's pretty awful.  They seem to worship burlap and mason jars too.... I don't get that.

Anniversary

• I've seen bridesmaids duties lists and pins on who has to pay what in weddings all over pinterest. It always make me roll my eyes.

• I have used it for decoration ideas and showing flowers and cakes to vendors like @peaseblossom55 said.  Admittedly we are using a little bit a burlap (not much I promise!), but no mason jars or other "rustic" things.  The rest of the stuff about "honeyjars" and "whoever gets more money in their glass has to have cake smashed on them" is just horrible.  At no point should your wedding begin to resemble a fundraiser or carnival.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll admit, I used pinterest a lot for the first 2-3 months of my wedding planning. Basically, as a way to look at other people's ideas and see what I liked (and what my BMs liked, since I let them pin to that board). I showed a couple of those photos to my florist when we met, but that was really it. Very very few of the ideas I pinned ended up being incorporated into my wedding - though variations on many of them did.
  • TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013
  • Definitely found ideas for my hair and makeup on pintrest which was good because I'm not much of a girly-girl and think I would have been clueless without that.  Also, got great ideas for centerpieces and cake styles for my florist and baker.  However, I learned quickly what kind of crappy dead ends were on there when I'd click on links and they wouldn't work, etc.  

Thought it was pretty nice for the newly engaged as a tool for "brainstorming" wedding ideas.  In the beginning it was all very overwhelming, so having the ability to make new boards to keep my head clear helped a lot.

That said, who would rely on pintrest for etiquette advice?? That's what TK and you ladies are for!  :)
  • TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013
  • I checked out Pinterest shortly after getting engaged. Wasn't that impressed- I'm going for simple and elegant (costco, I love you for your rose packages!). But I'm enjoying this thread!
  • NYCBruin said:
    I like Pinterest for looking at wedding pictures for inspiration/ideas.  I also use it to pin things that I come across but don't have time to read or want to remember, but I don't think it's super useful beyond that.  

I hate that terrible ideas can be re-pinned a million times because no one actually tries/verifies the idea before they re-pin it.  So that "super easy" DIY ends up being hard for a craft ninja.  And the "yummy" recipe reposted a million times actually tastes like crap.

And then there's the terrible advice, which takes it to a whole new level of horrible.
    There's this one image that looks like a piece of cheese that you wrap chicken around and bake - and that's what the description says - "Boneless chicken rolls stuffed with mozarella and garlic onion mixture". When you clicked through the recipe, it's actually a quarter of a stick of butter. Gross!
    Anniversary
  • Harry87 said:
    Do you know how many people have repinned my Terrible Ideas pins? Even though they say things like "This is extremely rude and tacky. If you do this, expect loved ones to forever think less of you" and "Yeah, I'm real sure your $42 honeymoon our of a jug will be fabulous. Totally worth looking like a fool." and "This is not cute. This is a living, breathing animal that you are confining to a small dome, where it will poop and die for the horror of your guests. Any survivors will not be something your loved ones want. If you do this, I genuinely hate you".

Yeah, Pinterest is where brides go to turn into tantruming lunatics.

hee hee I love your comments!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I only started a Pinterest page because my wedding planner and invitation designer wanted to see things that I like and "feeling" I was going for. I am amazed at the truly bad stuff on there. Especially all the pins for honeymoon registries. Umm. No. But, I have gotten some cute ideas to help make my Mexican wedding classy. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Oh, I thought that pin was for a family member like a grandmother who is in poor health and you are pretty sure she can't make it but you want to give her one anyways. You know, like she was already on your list of guests, not someone you added so you could get a gift but not host them. Because people on the knot say to send an invite even if they say they can't go just in case they change their minds later.

I would never do that with an acquaintance because then that is just rude, it's basically rubbing your day in their nose.
    I thought that's what it was saying too, but I would never include the note, even for my grandma. 
  • I would tell her. I figure she would want to hear it from a friend rather than learn that everyone was talking about how tacky she was behind her back.
  • Even if its your grandmother, I wouldn't do that note. If anything I would call my grandmother and talk to her about it.
  • tarratall said:
    I use Pinterest to share my work and save things that are my style in clothes, decor, diy, and design.  Actually just signed at client because they follow me on Pinterest and loved everything I pinned to another client's moodboard.

Some of the beauty secrets are really bad ideas.  I go to pinstrosity some times to see bad pins.

I love the recipes though - I can never find my way around skinny taste, so I have a board of my favorites on Pinterest!
    Oooh that sounds like a fun site!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards