Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Seating MY Kids during Our Reception

I have a daughter from a previous relationship and we have two boys together. At our wedding they will be ages 9, 3, and 2. During dinner where do I seat them? We are not having a wedding party so there will be no "head table". I was considering having either a "sweetheart table" or a "family table". If I have a sweetheart table, how do I decide who to seat my children with? If we have a family table, should I have someone else sit with us for when we have to leave the table for "bride and groom things"? No one person in my immediate family wants to be be "burdened" with caring for the kids all night. They all want to kick back and enjoy the night alongside us. I was considering a kids table, but my boys would still be too young to sit there. Any tips?

Re: Seating MY Kids during Our Reception

• Options
    If it were me? I think I'd have me, H, and the kids at a table.  Although it seems odd that anyone seems "burdened" by having the kids at their table during dinner.  Are their grandparents in the picture?
  • Options
    Put them at your table.
  • Options
    Do they have a sitter that they like?  It seems like it might be a good idea to have someone to hang out with them so you don't need to worry about being the only one responsible for them all night, even if they sat with you during dinner, which sounds nice.  
  • Options
    Have them sit with you at a family table. If you sat them somewhere else they would probably just want to sit with your anyway.

I do like the idea of a sitter that they like. It would mean that you would have your hands free for table visits, etc. Also for during the ceremony. If, for example, your 3 year old has to use the restroom in the middle of your vows you can't really stop the ceremony so one of you can take him.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    From a Nana POV - I would not be thrilled to care for a 2 and 3 year old during my DD's reception dinner.  I would do it If I HAD to, but I wouldn't be crazy about it.  Here is this lovely dinner in front of me, in a more formal setting, and I have to cut their food, keep them clean, clean up their messes (2 year olds are not neat eaters).  All the while - my food is getting cold.

I wouldn't want to do that as a bride either!  I would be hiring well trusted sitters for this.  My last DD will get married sometime in 2014.  Her children will be somewhere in the 5-6 and 8-9 age range.  I wouldn't have an issue with them having dinner with me as they are older.  Toddlers?  Not so much during my DD's wedding dinner.  We are already discussing the logistics of who is watching the kids all evening (it won't be MOB and their favorite aunt is MOH, it won't be her either).  They don't need a lot of watching but kids always need to be held accountable, especially at events like a wedding.  We will most likely hire an older sitter they know so we can all enjoy the wedding.

OP - do you have a trusted sitter who could sit with you at a family table and help the kids with their dinner?
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would hire a sitter or nanny to attend the wedding as a caregiver. Also, depending on how late your wedding is scheduled, at some point during the reception when the kids get tired, the sitter can take them home and put them to bed. Problem solved! 
  • Options
    I'd get a sitter and have a kids table, but I'd make sure I included them in the fun (dancing with them sometimes etc).  Mostly because they are little.  My daughter will be at my wedding but she'll be 10 by then so she can kind of handle herself for the most part.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter will be 1 at the time of my wedding and she will be with my parents of FI's parents. Although if she wants to be with mom and dad i not going to turn her down. Then going up to my parents hotel room (at the venue) with a sitter.
  • Options
    Dma361Dma361 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    Definitely a combination family table/sitter. We're very fortunate in that we have a great relationship with my son's father, so he and his gf will be at the wedding and able to share care for my son, but if not, I would absolutely need someone there to help. I like the idea of you being at a table with your kids, as this is really a family day for all of you, but you don't want a messy two year old tugging your dress while you try to dance your first dance.
  • Options
    I would make sure they are at your table.  I think it would be wise that you have a "sitter" at the table to occupy them and help them when necessary. 
  • Options
    Thank you for all the input. I think a family table with a sitter included will be our final decision. My family (my mom and sisters) often are our babysitters but they, like mentioned in Nana POV, want to enjoy the meal, the setting, and the chance to celebrate as adults alongside us. We decided to bring in some "sitters" to help out post meal in a kids room that will be connected to the main reception area. I will just ask these sitters to dine with us. Hopefully having this family meal together will help the kids feel like they are getting some extra attention from us that they may feel they are missing out on throughout the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards