Wedding Woes
Options

needing advice about my engagement ring...

so just to start i got engaged in Feb. 2012.  a few months after my engagement my fiance and i went through a difficult patch but made it out ok and have since gotten stronger and moved to a new city together (he came with me for a job opportunity).  last month we were in disney world and had got in a huge fight in which he said some hurtful stuff about us being engaged.  

basically after going through a tough week in which he had to deal with not only myself but also my family being upset with him we are on great terms and everything is good.  my issue is that i feel like i have so many negative experiences/memories attached to this ring that i have been thinking about exchanging it for a different one.  my fiance said he will do whatever makes me happy but also said i shouldn't let the negative get to me because we still have other great memories with this ring.

basically the store where he purchased it said i have to get a ring that is double the price of the original and they will apply the original purchase price (ex.original 3000 so new would be 6000-3000=3000)  so what are your thoughts??

Re: needing advice about my engagement ring...

• Options
    I say keep the ring. I'm going to get all sentimental here for a second: It's a symbol of his love for you. It's a symbol of your relationship together. All of the good, all of the bad. 

Do you know how many rings some people would have if people got new wedding bands every time they went through a rough patch?!?!

• Options
    i appreciate your post.  it really made me almost tear up because it made me think that he specifically took his time to pick this ring and worked so hard to pay for it.  and actually off topic, how can i get this countdown thingy off all my posts?? lol my wedding date changed and i can't find where to fix it.
  • Options
    My parents have been married 44 years and if they got new rings every time they had a fight they would have declared bankruptcy after 3 years. :)

Marriage includes the good and the bad. It's all those imperfections that make it real. Enjoy it. :)
  • Options
    If I were your FI, I would be incredibly hurt by this idea. Maybe he isn't, but I definitely would be. I'm glad you all are working it out. Marriage is a lifelong commitment that you have to work on every day, and this sounds like an impulsive "something tangible I can do right now to make me feel better" kind of thing. Keep the ring.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Marriage is for better or for worse, and the ring is a symbol of your marriage.  If you're so quick to ditch the ring after a fight, what does that say about you and your commitment to a marriage when you hit a rocky patch after the wedding?  Are you going to want to bail on the marriage too?

And I agree with pp - despite what your FI says, upgrading your ring just because you had a few fights is a HUGE slap in the face to him.  If I were him, I'd take the ring back and tell you to go take a hike.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Options
    i don't see what one has to do with the other. 
  • Options
    I would keep the ring, because its a symbol of his love for you.  If you feel that negative things are attached to the ring. I have heard of ladies only wearing their wedding band after getting married, putting the engagement ring on their right hand, or just putting it up completely.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 107 Invited so far!
    image 63 Are comming!
    image 9 Will be missing out!
    image 36 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    i appreciate all the responses.  as for those that think i want an excuse to have a bigger or fancier ring that is not the case because my ring is not small or simple by any standards, it's gorgeous.  and as for FI he was not hurt by the idea because he understood where i was coming from and how much he had hurt me on these two instances, so he just wants me to be happy.

i've decided to keep my ring because of the great, sensible advice i received from some of you.  you really made me realize that through good or bad, it's a symbol of love.  i appreciate those that didn't make judgements about me.
  • Options
    Because that is how the policy where he purchased it works. It has to be double the original price. If it was up to me I would be able to just exchange evenly.
  • Options
    I can't believe you're marrying someone who fought with you at Walt Disney World. What a bastard.

That is all.
  • Options
    @Auntflo - I had the same thoughts!!!!

I agree with PP - ups and downs don't warrant a new ring in my opinion.  If the downs were to the point that when looking at a ring made me want a new one - I'd most likely be questioning if marrying FI was the right decision or not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i wish i had thought to make dh get me a new ring after each fight. i would be rolling like lil wayne with rings on each finger.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards