Catholic Weddings

MOH/BM

I read somewhere recently that its preferred that both the best man and maid of honor be catholic or at least one of the two. I'm wondering how true that is because neither of the two are catholic. The priest has never mentioned this and he's aware that they aren't so I'm assuming its not a problem. I was just a little worried after I read that.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: MOH/BM

• We never once got asked about it in the whole process, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    You and your soon to be H will be conferring the sacrament of marriage on one another.  The MOH and BM are just considered witnesses. 
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I'm pretty sure not even one member of our bridal party was Catholic.

• I think I've heard that some churches like for there to be at least one Catholic witness, but it's not required that the MOH/BM be.  For the record, one bridesmaid and one groomsman out of our WP were Catholic.
    Anniversary

• Great! Thanks for the helpful info. With 5 days left I didn't want to start stressing about it since it was never mentioned to us.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have also heard of this. One of my BM's was Catholic but not practicing. Same goes for the GM's. I can't remember who our witnesses were, but I think they were DH's Grandma or my Godmother.
  • What's worse is that apparently some people have been told that their wedding party must receive communion, regardless of whether they're catholic. *sigh*

SaveSave
  • UGH, Monkey! Talk about misplaced priorities..
    Anniversary
  • That's really unfortunate! I'm worried about something like that happening at our wedding. FI's Lutheran mom has already asked if she can take communion at our wedding. Apparently she wants to be included. My response (to FI) was, "That's great, but no. She can do a reading. If she feels left out, she can sit with my parents" (who also won't be taking communion).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Chloeagh - or you could just say to her, "Sure you can take communion! All you have to do is agree with what the Church teaches and become Catholic!" :-P
    Anniversary
  • @Lalaith50 - Ha! I'm sure that will go over well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Chloeagh said:
    That's really unfortunate! I'm worried about something like that happening at our wedding. FI's Lutheran mom has already asked if she can take communion at our wedding. Apparently she wants to be included. My response (to FI) was, "That's great, but no. She can do a reading. If she feels left out, she can sit with my parents" (who also won't be taking communion).
    I am so glad I'm not the only one! FI's Lutheran grandmother (who's fairly certain FI is no longer Christian, having been confirmed into the Catholic church last month) keeps asking if she can take communion because she wants to feel included.

Yeah, no. You can take communion if and when you acknowledge that not only are Catholics Christians, but we're the original Christians. 

She's worried that she's going to be the only person not receiving communion (far from it -- most of our guests aren't Catholic), so I'm trying to be understanding about it, but then she spouts off something else about how "it would be so nice if [FI] were still a Christian," and I have to bite my tongue.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I am so glad I'm not the only one! FI's Lutheran grandmother (who's fairly certain FI is no longer Christian, having been confirmed into the Catholic church last month) keeps asking if she can take communion because she wants to feel included.

Yeah, no. You can take communion if and when you acknowledge that not only are Catholics Christians, but we're the original Christians. 

She's worried that she's going to be the only person not receiving communion (far from it -- most of our guests aren't Catholic), so I'm trying to be understanding about it, but then she spouts off something else about how "it would be so nice if [FI] were still a Christian," and I have to bite my tongue.
    This is what I think every time someone says something implying Catholics aren't Christians. It's so annoying and pretty offensive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards