Getting in Shape

workplace frustration

I'm annoyed with my building today.  I try to take the stairs whenever possible as a general rule.  (btw, The Mayor of NYC actually just proposed a bill to make stairwells easier to locate to convince people to use elevators less)  My building is a secure location.  I appreciate that, however it means that there is no access to the stairwell on the first floor.  It also means that the doors from the stairs on the fifth floor where my office is located are automatically locked from the stair side.  There are emergency staircases in case of fire.

It annoys me that if I want to get to the cafe on 1 from my office I have to take the elevator one floor, then get to the stairs, then get off at 2 to go to a different staircase or the elevator to one. 

Re: workplace frustration

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    It's disturbing to me how lazy a lot of our society is becoming.  I also park at the far end of the parking lot to get in some extra steps on my way into work everyday and when I leave.  The amount of people who make snarky comments or offer to drive me to my car is insane.  I posted here one other time about a coworker who is trying to lose weight, and asked me for help.  When I suggested she park further away to get a few easy extra steps in you would have thought I advised her to jump off the building!
  • At my work you pretty much get the side-eye for taking the elevator. Our buildings are set up to encourage use of stairs and there's even little motivational signs to remind people to use the stairs...but my company is all about healthy living and they want the employees to live healthy lives.

Sorry that your work isn't conducive to that - you should take Kwith's suggestion of just doing some stairs on a break.
  • I feel like a fat lazy American now. My work is a 1 story building. I'll take the stairs if it's only a few floors, but other than that I use the elevator. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jss0302 said:

My building is only three floors. It drives me crazy how many people use the elevator! There used to be a group of women who met up to walk the perimeter of the building/parking lot, but it's just too hot to do right now. I'm ready for them to break ground on the new building. There's going to be a gym that offers classes before work, after work, and during lunch breaks. Pumped!

ETA: I doubt I'll be working here when the new building is finally ready. It's still an awesome idea.

That's awesome! If we had something like that you wouldn't be able to keep me away. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have an elevator in our building (granted only 3 floors) but it used to be key operated as it was staff only (tons of students). So everyone always just took the stairs. Now that they remodeled they decided they didn't need the key anymore. So many people take the elevator up ONE FLIGHT.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! ONE FLIGHT!? Drives me bonkers. In other news. I get really angry in parking garages where I'm stuck on the 8-9th floor, and the person on the first floor takes it up one level. WALK!
  • @stagemanager14 - I disagree. I feel like everyone here is incredibly supportive and welcoming. I feel like you might have been aiming at me, but I can understand how it might have come across that way. I do apologize if it was mine and it did offend you. It was not my intention.

However, I really disagree with the statement that this place is incredibly judgmental. I have seen more support for women on this board then on any other board I've read. I would never be afraid to ask a question in here about anything, because I actually think here someone might tell me I'm being an idiot, but the post wouldn't seem malicious.

• I wouldn't go as far as judgmental, but it did make me feel like a fat lazy American because I don't always use the stairs. Didn't stop me from responding though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    I work in a 3 story building and I never take the stairs. Partly because I am usually late, partly because I can't find them and partly because I have a wheelie for my laptop that I lug each day. Also, I used to park in a spot far away to walk further. Last week I got promoted and got a spot in the garage below our building. I have to admit... I love it. I'm sorry. It's like a guilty pleasure.
  • i live on the 11th floor of a high rise condo tower...so elevators are a big part of my life (i do walk 1.5 miles round trip to/from work every day).  the parking is on floors 1-7.  it drives me crazy when i am riding up from 1-11 and someone gets on at 7 and then off at 8 because thre's a floor between their parking spot and their unit.  It's not because i think they're lazy, it's because i do NOT understand - i would NEVER wait for an elevator to take me up one floor.  It actually takes longer than just taking the stairs!  it seems like such a waste of time!

My freshman dorm in college was only 3 floors, and i lived on the 3rd and only used the elevator if i came in with several bags of groceries or luggage, etc.  You would not believe how many division 1 college athletes that lived on the second floor took the elevator up and down one floor, every time.  Everyone is different i guess!  i mean it's not like those kids weren't getting any exercise in.  they were certainly more active than i was.  my main issue with elevators is that i hate having to wait for them. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards