Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon Registries

My fiance and I are considering doing a honeymoon registry instead of a traditional gift registry. We already own a home together and have no need of typical items that would be on a registry. The honeymoon registry is a great idea in theory, but I'm concerned that it will come across as asking for cash, which I find tacky. Has anyone done/considered this? Why did you make the decision? Thanks! :)

Re: Honeymoon Registries

• Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2013
    HM registries aren't very popular on these boards, because they ARE a request for cash.

My personal reasons for not liking them are:
    1. They are deceptive. Aunt Mildred thinks she's purchasing a snorkeling trip for you, but in actuality, you guys just get a check, minus a service fee. You could use that money for anything.

2. They are pointless IMO. Lots of people give cash/checks as a wedding gift. I got married in Central PA and about 80% of the gifts we got were money. We didn't even spread the word that we were saving for anything, that's just what people decided to give on their own. We avoided looking tacky, AND we didn't have a service fee taken out by a third party. A win all around.

I would just make a small registry at one store like Macy's, BB&B for whatever items you might need (new towels? nicer sheets than you would normally buy? dishes that actually match? lamps?) and then let you parents, WP, etc know that if people ask where you are registered, they can point to the registry and also mention you are saving up for a HM. 

ETA: If you did use a site that actually gives you a voucher for the item your friends & family purchased (ie dinner, snorkeling trip) etc I wouldn't have an issue with this type of registry. It just doesn't sit well with me that you are "lying" to your guests as to what they are actually purchasing. 
  • Options
    My fiance and I are considering doing a honeymoon registry instead of a traditional gift registry. We already own a home together and have no need of typical items that would be on a registry. The honeymoon registry is a great idea in theory, but I'm concerned that it will come across as asking for cash, which I find tacky. Has anyone done/considered this? Why did you make the decision? Thanks! :)
    UGH. Why don't you read some of the other posts about the Honeymoon registries. Here at TK we think Honeymoon registries are tacky because they are asking your guests for money. Don't want gifts? Don't registry. People will get the hint. If people ask just say " We are saving up for our honeymoon" don't have to do a stupid honeymoon registry.
  • Options
    Don't do it.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I won't get into the asking for money part, but I always chime in on these posts about people saying they don't need anything because "you already live together and have everything we need." I don't understand this because my DH and I lived together for 6 years prior to being married. We each owned our own home when we met, so we had two full households to combine. I can think of a ton of little (and big) things that I would love to upgrade or things I think are nice to have, but maybe don't think about buying on my own (ex: citrus squeezer and zester). I highly recommend making a small registry of some items. Not only will people get the hint that you prefer cash, but there are people who refuse to give cash, so you'll at least get items that you picked out.

• Options
    I won't get into the asking for money part, but I always chime in on these posts about people saying they don't need anything because "you already live together and have everything we need." I don't understand this because my DH and I lived together for 6 years prior to being married. We each owned our own home when we met, so we had two full households to combine. I can think of a ton of little (and big) things that I would love to upgrade or things I think are nice to have, but maybe don't think about buying on my own (ex: citrus squeezer and zester). I highly recommend making a small registry of some items. Not only will people get the hint that you prefer cash, but there are people who refuse to give cash, so you'll at least get items that you picked out.
    All of this!  I'm in my mid 30s, have lived on my own for over a decade and lived with DH for sometime before getting married.  Once we started looking around, we found a bunch of things we could upgrade.  We now have new pots and pans, bedding, towels, etc......
  • Options
    SO true! 
    We lived together for two years and felt like we had it all, until the scanner gun was placed in H's hands. haha.. Not only that, but you can register at places like Amazon and REI. Wish we had realized that beforehand! We would have put all our cycle and backpacking wishlist up for registry! And H would have loved to register at Amazong for all his gaming wants and needs. We totally missed out! 
    Regardless, we got amazing upgrades on almost all kitchen appliances (and enjoyed helping my college friends furnish their places with our old stuff. They were thrilled FOR us because it meant they got fun stuff too :P ), bar tending stuff, guest bedroom stuff, etc.
    Seriously. 
    People that want to give money will give money. Don't force it upon them. We ALLL know that everyone wants money. But some people really enjoy buying something specific for couples, and you could miss out on some awesome stuff. 
  • Options
    SO true! 
    We lived together for two years and felt like we had it all, until the scanner gun was placed in H's hands. haha.. Not only that, but you can register at places like Amazon and REI. Wish we had realized that beforehand! We would have put all our cycle and backpacking wishlist up for registry! And H would have loved to register at Amazong for all his gaming wants and needs. We totally missed out! 
    Regardless, we got amazing upgrades on almost all kitchen appliances (and enjoyed helping my college friends furnish their places with our old stuff. They were thrilled FOR us because it meant they got fun stuff too :P ), bar tending stuff, guest bedroom stuff, etc.
    Seriously. 
    People that want to give money will give money. Don't force it upon them. We ALLL know that everyone wants money. But some people really enjoy buying something specific for couples, and you could miss out on some awesome stuff. 

Agreed! My brother registered at Amazon and got some great stuff.

Seriously, my DH has owned a home since 1989 (he's a little older than me. LOL) and we still come up with stuff all of the time, from kitchen gadgets to tools to general home accessories.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards