Wedding Party

Mismatching BP Dress??

I am having 5 women on my side of the bridal party. They are all close friends and family. One is a good friend of 7 years who will be attending both of her sister's weddings before mine (in close succession). Because her sisters are making her pay a lot of money total (Hawaii & Texas when we live on the East Coast), along with expensive dresses. Since I am getting married also quite far away in Michigan, would it be okay to make her an exception to our BP dresses?

Just a little background: one maid from high school, one maid is my fiance's sister, and 3 others I've known for ~6 years. I didn't choose a particular dress, but I did specify to my BP that I would like a certain color (sage green) dress and to stick to tea-length or longer dresses. My friend's dress will be a very dark emerald very long gown. I want her to use this dress to be in my BP, but would it be an etiquette faux pas to do this for only one person?

Re: Mismatching BP Dress??

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I am having 5 women on my side of the bridal party. They are all close friends and family. One is a good friend of 7 years who will be attending both of her sister's weddings before mine (in close succession). Because her sisters are making her pay a lot of money total (Hawaii & Texas when we live on the East Coast), along with expensive dresses. Since I am getting married also quite far away in Michigan, would it be okay to make her an exception to our BP dresses?

Just a little background: one maid from high school, one maid is my fiance's sister, and 3 others I've known for ~6 years. I didn't choose a particular dress, but I did specify to my BP that I would like a certain color (sage green) dress and to stick to tea-length or longer dresses. My friend's dress will be a very dark emerald very long gown. I want her to use this dress to be in my BP, but would it be an etiquette faux pas to do this for only one person?

Unless you afford your bridal party all the option of any shade of green, I would find this unfair.

• It may look a little weird if she's in a different dress but not your MOH. And if the other girls knew your reasoning behind the decision I think they would think it's unfair that you didn't extend the offer to them as well.

That said, it's really thoughtful that you're trying to keep your BM's personal budgets in mind!
  • I haven't chosen a maid of honor, simply because my life is changing a lot (bachelor's and master's degrees, new homes, etc) and I have been planning most of the wedding with my mom and fiance. It might make sense now to make her MOH since she has helped me in a few key aspects of the wedding, but what if that changes before the wedding?

All of my BMs are #1 in my heart, but how do you choose a #1 for just one event in your life?
  • Quick note: you shouldn't pick your MOH based on who can help you with the wedding most. If there isn't any one BM you're closest to, don't have a MOH. It's that simple.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Quick note: you shouldn't pick your MOH based on who can help you with the wedding most. If there isn't any one BM you're closest to, don't have a MOH. It's that simple.

This. Also don't as her to be MOH just because she happens to have a different dress.

If you email all of the bridal party now and tell them you have decided either Sage or Forest green will be fine, then you're covered.

• I would tell your wedding party that they can choose any shade of green in any dress style.  I would not make an exception for only one person in your BP.  Some might have emerald, some might have lime.  if you want to go with the emerald green, tell all of the BMs to get that color.
  • I'd just do shades of green or emerald green.
    Embrace the ombre look! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    So everyone would be in the same dress except for her?  That sounds a little odd and she'll definitely stand out.  Why not have all your bridesmaids in different green dresses of some sort?
  • I would tell your wedding party that they can choose any shade of green in any dress style.  I would not make an exception for only one person in your BP.  Some might have emerald, some might have lime.  if you want to go with the emerald green, tell all of the BMs to get that color.
    I second this

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd tell them "green dress" and have them just go for it, since it sounds like you are awesomely flexible about the BM dress anyway.  Or if the BM who already has an expensive dress got it from the same place or somewhere that carries the same color, give them a few different greens/colors to choose from, including the one she already has.  Then you'll know they will look good together.  Otherwise, I'd just embrace the chaos!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards