August 2014 Weddings
Options

Picking our wedding date - Saturday vs. Sunday

Hey girls! I've always wanted to get married on a Saturday night and loved the date August 23, 2014. My fiance wants to change the date to Sunday night, Labor Day Weekend, August 31st after hearing we would be saving $10k by switching from Saturday night to Sunday night. Would you girls do it? Or pay the extra $ for your dream wedding on a Saturday night? Any good or bad opinions about getting married on a holiday weekend?

Re: Picking our wedding date - Saturday vs. Sunday

• Options
    I would try to do that Saturday Night. Sunday would be cheaper, but with it being Labor Day Weekend, you run into families going on vacation, traditions and plans that are already made. You would save money, but would it be worth it if some of your loved ones could not be there? Sometimes you have to suck up the price, but really you can shop around for good deals for Saturday weddings too. My budget is only 9K total and I found a park that will allow us access to the grounds and sound system for under 100 dollars and the place is beautiful. I also found a reception hall that does not upcharge for saturday plans, I can decorate it to my liking and its under 1000. I think you have to decide which is more important and then do the work to make THAT happen first!
    Let me know how it goes for ya
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto PP. While you can save a ton of money by having your wedding on a Sunday, the downside to it is that if you have guests coming in from out of town, that's a really inconvenient time for them, especially if they work on weekdays. 

The downside to Labor Day Weekend is, as PP mentioned, families may have plans to go out of town for that weekend. It's a really popular vacation weekend. People usually advise to avoid holidays for weddings because it could interfere with people's plans and visa versa. 

There are definitely tons of ways to cut back costs and still have your wedding on a Saturday night .
  • Options
    My only take on Saturday vs a Sunday wedding is usually the party ends early considering ppl have work that next day they arent trying to stay out too late (but this may be ok for you if your having your wedding early on a Sunday, however sometimes you just have to go ahead and spend the money to have it the way you want it) HTH

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• Options

Thanks for all your opinions girls! My fiancé and I decided to go with Sunday night, Labor Day Weekend. It was a hard decision, but at the end, we rather use that $ towards our house.

• Options
    Good choice besides after the big day the house is the most important thing...Congrats

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• Options
    What about a Friday night? I agree with PP's that Labor Day weekend may not be the best option. We decided to do Friday night because of the savings. We are having our ceremony at either 6:30 or 7 to let people who have to work get changed and freshen up. Plus a lot of our close friends and family are leaving work early or using a vacation day. I wasn't thrilled about it at first, but I have discounts on everything and no problem finding vendors. The only way I would do a Sunday wedding is an afternoon wedding so people can enjoy the wedding and not worry about work on Monday. HTH
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm hoping to get the August 31st date. It will def allow me to stretch my already tight budget a little further. I don't have many people traveling and this day works perfectly for us. Now gotta find a venue that's available!!
  • Options
    I'm planning an August 31st 2014 wedding! We're having a DW and EVERYBODY is traveling, so we figured why not give them an extra day to do it :)
  • Options
    i have August 23 as well! We chose that date/month because we were going to go with September, but our venue gave us a 10% discount for going to August. We didn't want to do a holiday weekend, so we did the next to last weekend so it hopefully isn't too hot.
    Go for Saturday, in my opinion. You'll likely get more people to come out, since they won't have work the next day.
  • Options
    I am also doing a Sunday (and August) to save a little money.  If you let people know about your wedding in advance, they should be able to make it.  People say to stay away from holiday weekends, but I think that sometimes they can be a blessing!  Hope your venue search goes well.
  • Options
    My FI and I decided on August 31, 2014 as well! Date twins! We chose the 31st because our venue already had all of the Saturdays in August of 2014 booked (This was back in June!!) I couldn't believe it.
    Having your wedding on a holiday weekend could work out to your advantage. We are sending our STD out a little early just so everyone can plan accordingly. Since it is Labor Day weekend, people already have that Monday off from work so you don't have to worry about people taking extra time off work, etc. 
  • Options
    Sunday! save the money and turn the wedding into a weekend thing! plenty of time to bbq on Labor Day Monday and if you let ppl know far enough in advance, they should be able to make a weekend out of it! their plans could be your wedding!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards