Registry and Gift Forum
Options

What DIDN'T people buy off your registry?

As I enter the final "home stretch" of 2 months before the wedding, I am working on rebuilding/expanding the very small registry I made before my shower.  Are there things that just did not get purchased from your registry?  We really do need a lot of the "basics," as boring as they can be for guests to give, and although I will appreciate EVERY gift I am given no matter what it is, I worry that if I fill a registry with things like everyday flatware and basic bath towels, people won't want to buy them.  But I don't want to add gadgets like cookie presses and expensive pie dishes when those aren't the items that we really need...

Re: What DIDN'T people buy off your registry?

• Options
    I noticed that people were really into buying quality everyday items when we registered - our every day Fiesta place settings, our set of every day flatware, bed sheets and pyrex sets all went first.

The only other thing I noticed is that people like to buy pretty things too - I registered for a pretty patterned serving bowl, a couple vases, some cute basic table linens - all of those things got bought up quickly, I think because they were fun. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Not 1 single gift was bought off our registry after the bridal shower and we didn't receive 1 physical gift at the wedding. So I would only worry about "replenishing" with absolute must-haves if you feel that you really need to put more things on there. The only stuff that wasn't bought off of our registries were our expensive serving platters/bowls that matched our dishes.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

No one purchased any sheets or towels. No one purchased any kitchen knives (there's some bad karma with that, I guess? Beats me.)

We mainly got serveware and entertaining pieces as well as our crystal and other glassware.

Someone did buy our Shark handheld vacuum that we really really wanted! So kudos to that person!

• Options
    People didn't buy any of our little knick knacks. They liked to buy sets. I think this is a matter of knowing your crowd. One of my girlfriends bought ALL the towels, hand towels and mats for our bathroom just because they went together. Other people liked boxed sets.
  • Options
    None of our pots/pans or baking stuff (cookie sheets, etc) got bought. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    What!! Isn't that like a necessity item? I guess if that's all you have to buy though, not too shabby!
  • Options
    We had a few weird things that went untouched like our towels....no clue why really, I thought for sure those would get snatched up. It's not like they were super expensive either. Oh well, we will just buy them ourselves. We will also be purchasing our Keurig because that is a NECESSITY!
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I wouldn't bother adding anything after your shower.  At least here...the majority of physical gifts are purchased for showers and most individuals tend to give money at the actual wedding.  If there are still some items on the registry, I'd just leave it be as-is for anyone who might still be interested in purchasing. 

*** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jdblnnjdblnn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    If there are things that you would like and your registry is pretty close to complete, I would add a few more gifts IF it's something you actually want.  Don't add for the sake of adding.  That being said, I'm sure there will be a few gifts that are not purchased.  Those are items you can use any money you received for the wedding to purchase for yourself.  Not to mention, the discounts you receive for completing your registry!
  • Options

Some stores give you a "completion discount" on your registry.  So any items still not purchased after your wedding, you can purchase for yourself at a discount (usually 10-15%) for a certain period of time (usually 3-6 months).  So if there are things you need and want, it might be worth it to add them to your registry.  People might surprise you and buy random stuff as the wedding date gets closer - someone did that for us with our bathroom stuff (huge surprise to come back from the honeymoon to boxes full of towels, washclothes, valet trays, garbage cans, soap dispensers, toothbrush holders, etc.).

Our appliances and a lot of our crystal items went really fast.  So did baking items, although utensils essentially were ignored.

• Options

Two of my bridesmaids got me a nice utensil crock and filled it with a bunch of spoons, whisks, etc. at my shower.  Other than that, the smaller items were not popular on my registry at all.  Pots/ pans and dinnerware were extremely popular, as were serving pieces and appliances.  The bakeware has not been popular at all (I will buy some of it with the completion discount after a while, as I was looking forward to nice bakeware for once!)  The most practical stuff (dish towels, Tupperware set, vacuum cleaner, iron, pillows) has not been touched at all, but we got enough cash and gift cards that we will be able to pick up the stuff we really wanted.

One thing that helped me- I went through the registry at one point and divided things into 3 lists- things I would definitely buy for myself if somebody didn't get them, things I would really like to buy, and things I probably would not buy.  Then I deleted most everything on list #3.

• Options
    My shower is coming up this weekend and almost the entire Bed Bath and Beyond registry has been completed with the exception of a set of pillow cases, some extra china pieces (all 12 sets are purchased), a zester and my Silpat mats that I really wanted.  There is still a bunch left on the Macy's registry, so we just recently double listed them in the hopes that they would be purchased.  Fingers crossed!  It is mainly electronics and towels plus other smaller kitchen items on that list.  And oh the knife block that my fiance is dying for.
  • Options
    We got most of our registry items and are still getting things 2 months after the wedding.  All that was left on our Kohls registry was a set of sheets (we had two sets on there), some soup bowls, some random kitchen items, wine glasses and an omelet pan I think.  After the wedding I used gift cards to complete our everyday dishes items that were limited availability (I came across the set in an out of town store so I bought them with our our 15% completion card; they were discontinued so I was super happy to have found them and was expecting to not get them since they were only in a few stores!) and I recently bought the set of wine glasses.  

On our BBB  we still have our pots/pans, bakeware (brownie pan, cookie sheets, etc, cooking utensils, knife set, napkin holders, some of the bathroom items (soap dish, etc), the pasta bowls to our china that I added after the bridal shower (we got 3 of the 8).  We luckily got all the things we "really wanted" and the things left are things we could easily get when we "need" them.

Anniversary
  • Options
    We're still a few days out, but most people have likely finished shopping.  For us we had a lot purchased off of our registries, but the least popular items were our pots & pans, china, crystal, and table linens.  We'll probably complete 8 place settings of china & crystal just so we can use what we have received and we'll work on purchasing more over time.  We'll definitely complete the pots & pans & knives.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards