Outdoor Weddings

XP: Sparkler Exit

Ok, I know it's probably super cheesey, but I LOVE the sparkler exit pictures of the bride and groom and would love to do it at out outdoor wedding.  However, here's my thing....  My photographers leave at 10:30, but the wedding will be going until at least midnight, as will we.  I absolutely do not want to leave my wedding early, I want to stay until I can no longer dance!  Is it weird to do a "fake" exit??  And I'm not super crazy about pulling our guests away from the party and forcing them to take part in this.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this (or seen it done) and how it worked or if you have any alternatives??

Re: XP: Sparkler Exit

• jewely24 said:
    Ok, I know it's probably super cheesey, but I LOVE the sparkler exit pictures of the bride and groom and would love to do it at out outdoor wedding.  However, here's my thing....  My photographers leave at 10:30, but the wedding will be going until at least midnight, as will we.  I absolutely do not want to leave my wedding early, I want to stay until I can no longer dance!  Is it weird to do a "fake" exit??  And I'm not super crazy about pulling our guests away from the party and forcing them to take part in this.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this (or seen it done) and how it worked or if you have any alternatives??
    Yes a fake exit would be weird. If you pull them out for photos I can see this killing your flow and that most people will leave.

I guess I would need to know more about your timeline for the wedding. Why is photog leaving at 10:30? Why is your wedding going until at least midnight? Also know your crowd will they stay late?

I have seen sparkler departures. You want a good photographer to do this. My friend did this at her wedding and well, it didn't turn out great for all the effort put into coordination and stuff. http://www.locketstudios.com/josh-jessica-the-wedding/josh-jessica-490/

• Dinner is at about 7, and yes, midnight is the average ending time for my area and for my friends and family.  Many people may leave around the 10:30-11:00 mark, but the majority of the group will be in it for the long haul, and probably even an after party.  The photog is only staying until 10:30 because they'll be there since 2:30 that afternoon and we'll be about tapped out budget-wise after that.  Plus, all of the reception "events" will be done by then, so I didn't see a reason for them to stick around to catch several hours of bad dancing!
    I'm leaning further away from doing it, I'm just not sure there's a good way.  Just thought I'd see if anyone's done or seen anything I hadn't thought of yet....
  • I agree with you on all points and I think the sparkler departure would not flow well for what you really want. However, is there an opportunity to do something indoors?

I did something really cheesy. I really wanted ribbon wands for my departure photos (sparklers weren't permitted), so my BMs were passing them out while we were on the dance floor before we left and they were a huge hit. We got great pictures with those.
  • edited August 2013
    Skip the fake exit. If your photographer has to leave at 10:30, see how much another hour or two would cost. If it's too expensive, just ask someone to take photos. Sure, it won't be professional, but oh well. 

Honestly, I wouldn't do sparklers. Not because I think it's cheesy - a little overdone, maybe. But not cheesy. I wouldn't do it because every wedding I go to with sparklers, I think of this:

tons of sparklers + alcohol + lots of people grouped together + synthetic fabric in most clothing 

*********************************************************************************

• LOL!  Thanks @southernbelle0915, that sealed the deal for me right there, I think we'll skip it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards