Wedding Etiquette Forum

I can't even...

My friend discovered this wedding store that seems to provide everything from the dresses to the limos to the invitations to everything in between. She is thinking about getting her favors from there and asked me stop by this weekend with her. So, I was getting the address and started clicking around...

... and discovered that they also offer ring bearers and flower girls. No, not the pillow to put the rings on or the basket for the petals, although I'm sure they offer those, too... but the actual children. They rent out the children.

Oh, they also offer out wedding guests, if you have a minimum requirement. So... now that I've seen everything, I'm going to call it a night.

Re: I can't even...

• this is a joke right? Please tell me it is?

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• That truly is a one stop shopping trip for a wedding!  Wow!  Renting children, crazy!
  • That thud you just heard was the sound of my jaw going through the 5 floors below my office..
  • Link please.  That is outlandish.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't even know how to respond to this... except maybe to say... child labor laws?
  • Please post link. 

What blows my mind about this:
    1) there's a store that offers it
    2) there's obviously a market for it 
    3) there are PARENTS who are basically willing to whore out their children to be FGs/RBs (how do they get paid?)

I wouldn't mind being a wedding guest for hire... as long as there's no cash bar. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• What!? This a thing!? I can't believe parents actually allow their children to be involved in something like this.... Gross.

Link please!
  • I'm just kind of wondering how much "personalization" you get in your kid-for-hire. Can you specifically request blondes vs. redheads? Can you guarantee moments of cuteness (will the ringbearer tuck the pillow under his arm, run for the altar, and spike it when he gets there)? Will the flower girl be tantrum-free?
  • I want to know what the search/sort bar is for the ring bearer/flower girl. Like can I specify race? height? weight? IQ?
  • Am I the only one that isn't shocked?
  • I've actually heard of renting out guests as being a thing in some cultures - you're basically showing everyone how many *friends* you have. I think it's more of a word-of-mouth, come get a free meal type thing though, than an actual business.

Renting out children is weird, but hey, awesome for those kids. Nice way to get a college fund started for little to no actual work.

Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WOW...anyone who has ever posted on here that the wedding party aren't props must feel foolish now.  LOL
  • I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link. Is it against TOS?
    According to the site, it's the owner's grandchildren and you can look at pictures in their photography section on the site.
  • I just literally shut my laptop and kept shaking my head. Two minutes later, I'm back to say that that is so beyond fucked up. 
  • Reminds me of the commercials for local businesses where the owners have rounded up all their grandkids for cuteness factor. You can just read the subtext of "now say the line Timmy or you can't have the teddy bear back!"
  • I highly doubt that they've complied with child labor laws (especially with kids so young...they can rarely be employed). 
  • I don't think It's illiegal and I would NEVER allow my children to be involved in something like this.

However... If you wanna pay me to come to your wedding as a filler... I'll be there!
  • Has anyone else seen the movie Rent A Kid? Because that's all I can think about right now (which is actually a good thing, because it's preventing my brain from melting over the whatthefuckness of this company).
  • I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link. Is it against TOS?
    According to the site, it's the owner's grandchildren and you can look at pictures in their photography section on the site.

PM? :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Where do I sign up to be a wedding guest for hire?  
  • Can you just post the link every time one a poster wants to dictate how their guests dress or make their BMs do "jobs"?  

I mean why bother treating your friends and family as hired help/props when you can just hire people to actually act like the props you want them to be!
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Wait, so someone will pay me to attend weddings of strangers?  In what city is this place located?  Can I choose to only attend the ones with open bars?
  • Just so everyone knows, I am completely available for wedding party rental duty. I will wear whatever dress you pick, eat your food, and drink your liquor, all for a very reasonable fee.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

White Knot

• I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link. Is it against TOS? According to the site, it's the owner's grandchildren and you can look at pictures in their photography section on the site.
    You've got mail!

Anyone else? Let me know!
  • I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link. Is it against TOS? According to the site, it's the owner's grandchildren and you can look at pictures in their photography section on the site.
    You've got mail!

me!! :-)
    Done and done! :)
    You've got mail!

@Simply Fated - me! me!

Also, ditto on the being available for rent as a wedding guests. I'm very well-behaved, can hold pleasant conversations with strangers, and am always willing to help keep the dance floor going. Fees totally reasonable :-)
  • Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards