Snarky Brides

Burlap + Lace = Vomit

Re: Burlap + Lace = Vomit

• Unless it is done very well, I dislike black/white for a wedding. It usually feels like a prom.
  • ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    Wedding elements that suck:

- mason jars covered in burlap and lace - it's like all things annoying rolled into one centerpiece and, worse, people who think it's original. 
    - poems - just tell me what the fuck you want to say. I have never liked decoding shit and I never will.
    - when WPs enter and each pair prepares a little dance - it's pretty AW, knock that shit off
    - choreographed dances - unless you're a professional dancer, it's always obvious and makes you look like you're trying too hard
    - MOH/BM toasts that follow this formula: "I've known ___ since ___. (Insert circumstances of meeting, inside jokes, and memories that do not relate to any punch line. Make this last for a solid 10 minutes or more.) So anyway, I'm glad you met your other half." Boring and unoriginal.
    - damask patterns, logos, and themes. 
    - gaps
    - surprise elements - like flamenco dancing, surprise choreographed dance for the groom, etc.
    - smashing cake into each other's faces - really? why? it's not cute, it's disrespectful.
    - the garter hunt and toss - just no.
    I was in a wedding last weekend and the groomsman I was partnered with not give up on this. He wanted to do some stupid thing, then heard I was a cheerleader and decided he wanted to lift me. I don't even know you, you're picking me up off the ground. I agreed to something, but bailed at the last minute on the way in. HA!

I don't really care if other people do it, if you're in a bridal party with a dozen other people, it's more interesting than watching 8 couples walk in.

Any trend makes me vomit after a year.
    A friend of mine had a beautiful wedding on a Tennessee plantation that included vintage items, cute signs, lawn games, and yes, mason jars.  This was a couple years ago now--- it was awesome then, overdone and gag inducing now. 

I'm sorry if anyone already purchased their dress and falls in this category, but I'm SO SICK of brides looking like they wrapped themselves in a bedsheet and put on a jeweled belt to hold it all up.  Or the skirt is gathered in weird places and looks like it got crushed in the car on the way to the ceremony.   "Flattering" as rouching may be, it looks sloppy in most cases and the trend is overdone. What's wrong with crisp lines, tailored fits, or floaty tulle, and more traditional beading or lace?  (But I am really digging the illusion necklines now... another trend I'll hate in 3 years...)

I just ordered this dress. Here's hoping I don't hate it in 3 years :-\

Anniversary
  • *********************************************************************************

• ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    Oh I know. She mentioned she loves illusion necklines now, but will probably hate them in 3 years. Which just made me second guess my dress for a moment - which has an illusion neckline.
    Anniversary
  • erinr26 said:
    I hate any "trend" that implies the groom doesn't want to get married.  Like cake toppers where the bride is dragging the groom by the collar.
    I saw a picture in a list of photos 'you will kick yourself for not having' where it looked like the bride was trying to drag the groom into the church by his ankle and he was trying to hold onto the railing. It looked awful. I want my pictures to look like my fiance wants to marry me, not like I had someone off camera holding him at gun point.
    Anniversary
  • After reading through all of these responses, I'm actually giggling to myself for a few reasons.  I was planning on using some mason jars around the venue to hold some tea light candles, but not as center pieces.  I was also (of course) going to just wrap a burlap bow around them (cue the gasps and grumbles!).  We ARE however, almost literally, having our reception in a barn...kind of.  From the outside it looks like a large barn, but the inside is SO gorgeous with a fabulous fireplace and an upper level that looks down onto the dance floor.

So I guess my question is... is the mason jar/burlap thing still too much?  Is it vomit-worthy in this atmosphere?  The actual centerpieces are large hurricane lamps and will not have any burlap on them. 
  • mstuttle12:  of course do what you want re: burlap and lace.  Luckily (for you!), no one here is coming to your wedding.  It'll probably be new to your guests.

Here's a trend that's gag-inducing:  those hideous embroidered hankies for MOB gifts with maudlin sayings like "To dry your tears as you once dried mine".  When my niece gave one to her mother, I told DD just shoot me, don't think of giving something like that.  Thank goodness, she shuddered at it.

• I think some people said burlap at a barn isn't vomit inducing.
  • After reading through all of these responses, I'm actually giggling to myself for a few reasons.  I was planning on using some mason jars around the venue to hold some tea light candles, but not as center pieces.  I was also (of course) going to just wrap a burlap bow around them (cue the gasps and grumbles!).  We ARE however, almost literally, having our reception in a barn...kind of.  From the outside it looks like a large barn, but the inside is SO gorgeous with a fabulous fireplace and an upper level that looks down onto the dance floor.

So I guess my question is... is the mason jar/burlap thing still too much?  Is it vomit-worthy in this atmosphere?  The actual centerpieces are large hurricane lamps and will not have any burlap on them. 
    I think burlap for your setting is totally appropriate, if that's what you want to do. I've seen pictures on facebook recently of a wedding from someone I went to high school with who had the burlap and lace and everything in a barn-type venue. I'll admit, it looked lovely. However, it also looked like she scoured Pinterest for every possible trendy wedding idea and threw them all in one place. That, to me, took away from it since it didn't seem persona, it seemed like she was trying to have an "it" wedding.

You're fine. My friend got married in her backyard and used mason jars sparingly because it was in her freaking back yard and it made sense (and she actually uses mason jars). If it matches your venue, fine. If you're going to try and do "shabby chic" in a country club, it's a little ridiculous.
    Anniversary
  • @mstuttle12, If you like it, do it! There most certainly will be mason jars at my wedding in some shape or form (probably for candles, but possibly for drinking), but not because they're trendy, but because I love mason jars! (Seriously. I've been drinking from mason jars way before they became big at weddings.) 

On the subject of icky photos: I despise the ones that are staged to make it look like the bride's shoe is stepping on all of the scared looking groomsmen. Barf. 
  • Ugh I may get flamed for this but I totally do not understand the "Gatsby" or "Vintage" weddings...I really really REALLY don't
    I hate the term "vintage' because it is so generic.  Is it Victorian, 1920's, 1940's, what?

Some of our centerpieces and other design elements are going to have a Victorian/Edwardian feel because our reception is in an old mansion, so we are trying to incorporate some of the look and feel of the mansion.  So for instance some of the centerpieces will be topiaries.

But we don't have a theme per se, unless you count Fucking Rockstar Awesome Wedding as a theme.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• edited August 2013
    ElcaB said:
    Another personal annoyance of mine: The WP forming a tunnel for B&G to run through for their big reception entrance. 

Ditto brides wearing carbon copies of Kate Middleton's wedding dress. Don't get me wrong, I think it was gorgeous, but it's weird that people are obsessed with copying her style, right down to their wedding day. 
    Eff you, I'm having a huge, 15 tier cake too!

ETA: 

This will be my 3rd wedding...so from the voice of experience and maturity (I hope)..the wedding should be about a celebration of your love with your S.O.   

I know, I know...but I think as brides we forget this.  I know that I am stressing about mine already (not until April) and I am old pro.  In our struggle to "glitter, monogram, and burlap" everything we need to try to remember it is a committment (sic) and celebration of love and the joining of families and NOT a photo/video op

Sorry, must be menopause PMS..

Donna

I'm stuck in the box, but that is beautiful  I want to add it to my sig!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• ElcaB said:
    Another personal annoyance of mine: The WP forming a tunnel for B&G to run through for their big reception entrance. 

Ditto brides wearing carbon copies of Kate Middleton's wedding dress. Don't get me wrong, I think it was gorgeous, but it's weird that people are obsessed with copying her style, right down to their wedding day. 
    Eff you, I'm having a huge, 15 tier cake too!
    Well pin a rose on your nose. photo pinaroseonyournose_zps56d40897.gif
  • OMG Full House!

• edited August 2013

LuvBird29 said:

If someone wants burlap at their wedding, let them. Did you pay for it....
    I don't think anyone is saying if you want to use burlap don't, but that it is over done and usually not needed.

A lot of things at weddings are overdone or not needed.  Are there some things that I hate about certain aspects of weddings?  Yes, you can just read my previous response on this thread to see some of hte things I don't like.  But really, if a bride wants to deck her venue out in mason jars, burlap and lace with vintage looking items that really aren't vintage and have the guys wear bow ties and suspenders I really don't care.  Just make sure the food is amazing, the booze is flowing, and you have a some awesome music to dance to.

So for all future brides out there...food, drinks and music come first, then worry about your decor because in the end your guests won't care of remember what the venue looked like but they will remember if your food was tasty.

I don't recall saying that these things aren't what make a wedding. Good food, company and drinks are my main focus.

I was talking specifically about burlap. I personally do not think that it is needed. It is not a decoration IMO.
  • Ugh, I totally agree. I'm country as hell, and every single time I see burlap, lace, mason jars and freakin "cowgirl" boots, I go stupid. Fh is laughing bc I was so excited when I read the thread title. I was like "YES!!!"

I hate trends. I been wearing the same style since high school and I pull it off well, lol. But I don't want to do the same thing every single other person is doing.

But then, we got excited over a winter country theme, and having a chandelier made of antlers(yes, it's theme-y lol), and then I figured out everything is a trend now. SOOO, I'm at a loss. It fits us, it's fits our lifestyle and our personalities, but everybody is using stuff as a trend, and it drives me crazy :-/
  • FI and I were both raised on farms so I have seen these trends done beautifully, and done fucking ugly, all by real country folk.

I'm more interested in a formal wedding myself...I can have a bbq anytime.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• I definitely know what you mean about the awkward rustic ascetic you see around these days. It's almost like people are trying to be lazy and not adopt good taste! lol! I once received an invitation made of purse mouse leather! I'm an old fashion kind of gal that loves a good solid color graphic design draped in pastels. Unfortunately my hubby insisted that we used some strange organic squid ink and 100% recycled paper for our invitations (yuck! I hate bugs!) He even ate one to show me how natural it was. Gross! He even ate the mouse leather invitation! Anyway, when I remarry I'm definitely going to dominate the theme! No corn-oil cups that melt in your hand, no duck feather party favors, no macaroni sculptures, and most of all no bird seed! lol men, am I right? Can't live with em!
  • I definitely know what you mean about the awkward rustic ascetic you see around these days. It's almost like people are trying to be lazy and not adopt good taste! lol! I once received an invitation made of purse mouse leather! I'm an old fashion kind of gal that loves a good solid color graphic design draped in pastels. Unfortunately my hubby insisted that we used some strange organic squid ink and 100% recycled paper for our invitations (yuck! I hate bugs!) He even ate one to show me how natural it was. Gross! He even ate the mouse leather invitation! Anyway, when I remarry I'm definitely going to dominate the theme! No corn-oil cups that melt in your hand, no duck feather party favors, no macaroni sculptures, and most of all no bird seed! lol men, am I right? Can't live with em!

I love you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards