New Jersey

Screw florists who charge too much, maybe I'll DIY....

So, we went to 3 different florists for quotes and were shocked to say the least.  I figured it would be close to $1,000.00 but not much more.  Boy was I wrong...

Monday Morning Florists in Princeton quoted $1,300.00 (not including tax/delivery) for ceremony and bridal party.
Petal Pushers in Hamilton quoted $1,400.00 (not including tax/delivery) for ceremony and bridal party.
Finks Florist in Bristol, PA quoted us between $750.00 and $850.00 for ceremony and bridal party (if we don't do ceremony flowers, it'll be about $750.00).

Needless to say, we like the price that Finks gave us.  However, they seem a little too "laid back" on their approach to weddings.  Not to mention, after some discussion we may just DIY our flowers.  I figure, I could cut costs and still have a beautiful bouquets, boutineers, and corsages. My sister helped a friend of hers with their DIY flowers the night before the ceremony.  She said that it was easy and they came out beautifully.

I'm wondering if anyone else has decided to DIY their flowers and if so, where do you plan to get your flowers from?  I searched online and found Bloomsbythebox.com and the reviews that I've read are encouraging me to do it.

What are your thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Michelle & Ronald
01/03/81
06/18/81
08/25/10
05/07/13
03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
image 40 are party poopers
image 0 awaiting reply
Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.

Re: Screw florists who charge too much, maybe I'll DIY....

• Have you checked AW in Kearny?  We paid $1700 (this included tax & delivery) and got flowers for our bridal party (6 bridesmaids, 6 groomsmen, 1 ring bearer, 2 flower girls), 6 hand-tied roses for both mothers, flowers for grandparents, godparents, readers, etc.... Had 2 large arrangements in the church and flowers on the first few pews, tall centerpieces (16) for the receptions.  Our flowers were beautiful-roses, calla lilies, hydrangea, etc....no cheap filler flowers!!
  • bereasonable2bereasonable2 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013
    RMMJS said:
    Have you checked AW in Kearny?  We paid $1700 (this included tax & delivery) and got flowers for our bridal party (6 bridesmaids, 6 groomsmen, 1 ring bearer, 2 flower girls), 6 hand-tied roses for both mothers, flowers for grandparents, godparents, readers, etc.... Had 2 large arrangements in the church and flowers on the first few pews, tall centerpieces (16) for the receptions.  Our flowers were beautiful-roses, calla lilies, hydrangea, etc....no cheap filler flowers!!
    Didn't you read what she wrote? $1300 and $1400 were too high for her. She's looking at $750 and that might even be too high since she wants to DIH. Oh, and I love her comment about the cheap florist being "too laid back" about weddings... I guess it's true - you do get what you pay for.

I sometimes wonder if people like the OP are just out of touch with reality or they only shop at place where they offer the best quality at the lowest prices and the companies magically make enough money to stay in business.
  • I would reconsider DIY. First of all the materials and time spent are not going to save you as much as you think it is. Second of all you're going to have so much to worry about the night before your wedding the last thing you're going to want to do is put together bouquets.  And third what about the what ifs- if they don't some out the way you want, if you can't get the right flowers, if you don't finish in time etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would advise against DIY.  One of my friends got married a few years ago and decided to do her flowers herself to save money.  We were up until 2am the night before her wedding doing the flowers and they did not look as good as a professional florist.  I'm using Whole Foods who are providing all of the wedding party flowers, the chuppah, delivery, and centerpieces for about $1700 which was half of all of the other quotes I got.  Look into Whole Foods or Wegmans (who I've heard also do beautiful flowers) and see what they can offer you and work within your budget.  The supermarkets can get better wholesale prices on flowers than most florists and they usually hire florists to do the arrangements.  Good luck.
  • RMMJS said:
    Have you checked AW in Kearny?  We paid $1700 (this included tax & delivery) and got flowers for our bridal party (6 bridesmaids, 6 groomsmen, 1 ring bearer, 2 flower girls), 6 hand-tied roses for both mothers, flowers for grandparents, godparents, readers, etc.... Had 2 large arrangements in the church and flowers on the first few pews, tall centerpieces (16) for the receptions.  Our flowers were beautiful-roses, calla lilies, hydrangea, etc....no cheap filler flowers!!
    Didn't you read what she wrote? $1300 and $1400 were too high for her. She's looking at $750 and that might even be too high since she wants to DIH. Oh, and I love her comment about the cheap florist being "too laid back" about weddings... I guess it's true - you do get what you pay for.

I sometimes wonder if people like the OP are just out of touch with reality or they only shop at place where they offer the best quality at the lowest prices and the companies magically make enough money to stay in business.
    First off, I am not out of touch with reality and I don't only shop at places that offer the best quality at the lowest prices.  I am extremely in touch with reality.  The economy sucks and I'm well aware that florists need to make a profit off their sales.  I'm not some young bride that thinks money grows on trees. I have researched numerous florists in the area, and while some are extremely expensive, some are comparable in price.  

What I meant about the one florist being "too laid back" in regards to weddings, is that she didn't seem to care too much about what we were looking for.  Maybe we caught her on a bad day.  Who knows.  I have shifted gears with what kind of flowers I would like and plan to email the 2 florists that  were on the higher side to see what the price difference would be.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • RMMJS said:
    Yes, I checked out AW in Kearny.  I plan to contact them, again, to set up an appointment.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • RMMJS said:

I did read what she had written-she also made mention of wanting flowers for ceremony and bridal, not reception.  
    However, really think about DIY-the days/weeks leading up to the wedding are extremely hectic.  I barely did anything on my own (had my favors wrapped professionally, flowers done, etc...) with the exception of the programs-save yourself the headache.  Just like Hobokenbride said, what you are going to spend in materials, it will be pricey.  I goofed on the tables and needed to order an extra centerpiece the night before the wedding!  If I was doing DIY, it would have been a total nightmare!
  • RMMJS said:

First off, I am not out of touch with reality and I don't only shop at places that offer the best quality at the lowest prices.  I am extremely in touch with reality.  The economy sucks and I'm well aware that florists need to make a profit off their sales.  I'm not some young bride that thinks money grows on trees. I have researched numerous florists in the area, and while some are extremely expensive, some are comparable in price.  

What I meant about the one florist being "too laid back" in regards to weddings, is that she didn't seem to care too much about what we were looking for.  Maybe we caught her on a bad day.  Who knows.  I have shifted gears with what kind of flowers I would like and plan to email the 2 florists that  were on the higher side to see what the price difference would be.  

Well, it appears that $1300-$1400 is the average rate in your area. If i saw something for significantly less ($750), I'd have to wonder what they're skimping on to give me such a cheap price. Could it be that (and I'm paraphrasing you here) they don't give a rats ass about what you want and they're going to use the cheapest flowers that are in season at the time of your wedding and just give you a bunch of bouquets that may or may not be what you asked for? Cuz you know, when you get them the morning of your wedding, they'll have your money and you'll have flowers that you didn't ask for and it will be too late.
  • RMMJS said:

Well, it appears that $1300-$1400 is the average rate in your area. If i saw something for significantly less ($750), I'd have to wonder what they're skimping on to give me such a cheap price. Could it be that (and I'm paraphrasing you here) they don't give a rats ass about what you want and they're going to use the cheapest flowers that are in season at the time of your wedding and just give you a bunch of bouquets that may or may not be what you asked for? Cuz you know, when you get them the morning of your wedding, they'll have your money and you'll have flowers that you didn't ask for and it will be too late.
    Yes, 1300-1400 is average in the area.  The one florist said that she did a wedding that was well over 10k just for bouquets and ceremony flowers.  YIKES.  

To answer your question, yes, I know what I want to carry.  Originally I wanted to carry a cascade of white/cream/light yellow/yellow roses and have my girls carry blue hydrangea w/yellow roses and some greens thrown in.  Over the weekend, I saw a bouquet online that I absolutely LOVED and so did FI.  We have shifted gears in regards to the type of flowers.  I still have to find out if the church is going to allow flower arrangements on the alter/pews as I will be getting married during lent. 

I knew that flowers were going to be a major undertaking and I am re-thinking DIY'ing them.  Even though my sister (and MOH) said that we could pull it off the night before, I am doubting it because I'll be more worried about other things.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • I think you need to break it down by piece. How much was the bride's bouquet for each? The BMs/ How many BMs are included?

Our quote is around $2000, and that included 17 centerpieces (albeit not huge but attractive.) We are using a florist we have used for years and really like her work, and her prices are reasonable.

To get an idea if the pieces are higher or lower (rather than going by the entire quote) here are some of our numbers:

Bride's bouquet: $250
    Matron/Maid of Honor (2) : $75
    Bridesmaids (5): $65
    Corsages for moms: $15 each
    Pew bows: $8 each
    Large altar floral piece: $100-$150
    Bout for groom: $10
    Bouts for GMs (7): $8

That's about $696 for all florals, and an additional $240 for 30 pew bows (total of $936)

So, going with someone who is cheaper does not make you out of touch with reality (and our families have used this florist many, many times before so we're not just getting bottom-of-the-barrel-flowers...she does care about us and our business). All of our flowers will be in season, which also makes the price lower. The bridesmaids' flowers are fairly large - I really dislike small bouquets for the girls. They shouldn't be the place to cut the budget, imo.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I think you need to break it down by piece. How much was the bride's bouquet for each? The BMs/ How many BMs are included?

Our quote is around $2000, and that included 17 centerpieces (albeit not huge but attractive.) We are using a florist we have used for years and really like her work, and her prices are reasonable.

To get an idea if the pieces are higher or lower (rather than going by the entire quote) here are some of our numbers:

Bride's bouquet: $250
    Matron/Maid of Honor (2) : $75
    Bridesmaids (5): $65
    Corsages for moms: $15 each
    Pew bows: $8 each
    Large altar floral piece: $100-$150
    Bout for groom: $10
    Bouts for GMs (7): $8

That's about $696 for all florals, and an additional $240 for 30 pew bows (total of $936)

So, going with someone who is cheaper does not make you out of touch with reality (and our families have used this florist many, many times before so we're not just getting bottom-of-the-barrel-flowers...she does care about us and our business). All of our flowers will be in season, which also makes the price lower. The bridesmaids' flowers are fairly large - I really dislike small bouquets for the girls. They shouldn't be the place to cut the budget, imo.
    Can you share who you are using? Thanks!
  • I used gardenias floral, the girls name is Samantha and she is really sweet. I wasn't hung up on specfici flowers and wanted a more overall look with certain colors. I am paying 1600. for ceremony flowers, medium sized centerpieces, flowers for cake table and cARD TABLE, my bouquet and my girls bouquets,

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Did you want any other recommendations just see if there is anything else out there?
  • When I looked at my quote from the 3 florists we've met with, it looks like my bouquet will run between 85 and 250.  It just depends on what I go with, etc.  

If there are any other recommendations that can be given, I'd appreciate it.  I'm thinking I'll contact a couple more and then compare them all.  I don't want to jump the gun and pick a florist who won't "deliver" specifically what I want.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • Check out local garden centers/nurseries that offer floral design services.  The lowest quote I got was from a family owned nursery near my venue.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm late but check out (and don't laugh) your local wegmans, Kings, shoprite or costco.  You'd have to pick up the day of but its significantly cheaper.
  • My friend got her's a Wegmans nd the flowers were gorgeous. I was going to check them out too but they are not in my area. I think the Wegmans are down south Jersey that has the florist available for weddings.

• Quick update:  about 3 weeks ago, I was out sick for 2 days and I decided to do some wedding errands one afternoon with my son.  I had the intention of going to 3 of the local florists, as well as our local shoprite to discuss flowers. Well, the first florist was closed because they were on vacation. I hopped over to my jeweler to have my ring cleaned (directly across the street from the 1st florist, and right next to the 2nd) but didn't get it cleaned because she was super busy.  I went into the florist and spoke with her.  She told me what the pricing would be for the flowers I wanted, and ranted about how florists in the area like to jack up the prices because "wedding" is attached to it.  I was floored by the quote and couldn't wait to tell my FI.  When I told him, he asked me if she was serious.  I called her the next day and she said that she doesn't jack her prices up because it's wedding day floral, she said it is wrong and one way to turn potential lifetime customers away.  

We decided to go with her because A) she is well with in our budget (actually below it, but that's ok!) B) she is local, and C) when I asked around, I've heard that she's done numerous weddings and the flowers were phenomenal.  We plan to book her this weekend.  I can't wait!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • Quick update:  about 3 weeks ago, I was out sick for 2 days and I decided to do some wedding errands one afternoon with my son.  I had the intention of going to 3 of the local florists, as well as our local shoprite to discuss flowers. Well, the first florist was closed because they were on vacation. I hopped over to my jeweler to have my ring cleaned (directly across the street from the 1st florist, and right next to the 2nd) but didn't get it cleaned because she was super busy.  I went into the florist and spoke with her.  She told me what the pricing would be for the flowers I wanted, and ranted about how florists in the area like to jack up the prices because "wedding" is attached to it.  I was floored by the quote and couldn't wait to tell my FI.  When I told him, he asked me if she was serious.  I called her the next day and she said that she doesn't jack her prices up because it's wedding day floral, she said it is wrong and one way to turn potential lifetime customers away.  

We decided to go with her because A) she is well with in our budget (actually below it, but that's ok!) B) she is local, and C) when I asked around, I've heard that she's done numerous weddings and the flowers were phenomenal.  We plan to book her this weekend.  I can't wait!!!!
    So are you gonna tell us the name and location of this wonderful florist? I could really, really use it.
  • What is the name of the florist? Thanks! 
  • yeah you can't tell a story and not tell us who it is!
  • LauraBell1020LauraBell1020 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2013
    You can knock off a large chunk of your floral price by providing your own vases for the reception. Buying vases wholesale is extremely affordable and practical, and will knock a couple of hundred dollars off your price. Keep in mind that when you purchase your vases you can also rent them or sell them after your wedding to make some money back.

I will also suggest checking out ETSY.com for bridal and and bridal party bouquets. A co-worker of mine used etsy for her bouquets and they were STUNNING. I'm not one for fake flowers, but I have to admit that they were absolutely gorgeous.
  • Aztec Florist on Scotch Road in Ewing, NJ. She is awesome to work with and really down to earth! She hates when other florists price their flowers 4x what they really cost. My bouquet alone is only $65 (daisies and yellow roses)! Total cost for the entire bridal party, parents, siblings not in the wedding, grandma and one special person (my aunt who is my godmother), and 2 large alter baskets came out to $400 including delivery. Can't beat that!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • Are all these florist in South Jersey? Sorry wondering cause just went to my first Florist appt, and have been quoted a little over 4k for. Bridal bqt, 1 moh, 4 bm, 2 altar arrangements, sle flowers, 14 centerpieces (7 tall, 7 short) sweetheart table,card table, boutonniers, and corsages. I had previously worked for a florist and know If I would have been a regular bride with him I would have been quoted close to 6k. Just wondering where is everyone getting there flowers are they close to the Paramus, NJ area?
  • Are all these florist in South Jersey? Sorry wondering cause just went to my first Florist appt, and have been quoted a little over 4k for. Bridal bqt, 1 moh, 4 bm, 2 altar arrangements, sle flowers, 14 centerpieces (7 tall, 7 short) sweetheart table,card table, boutonniers, and corsages. I had previously worked for a florist and know If I would have been a regular bride with him I would have been quoted close to 6k. Just wondering where is everyone getting there flowers are they close to the Paramus, NJ area?

If you are willing to travel, try AW in Kearny or Avenue in Elizabeth (I got mine from him). I got way more than what you are getting from almost half the price. My flowers were gorgeous and Nathan was great to work with. They are both only half hour from Paramus. Half hour is nothing to save a few thousand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks Gelaine22 I will check them out.
  • You can knock off a large chunk of your floral price by providing your own vases for the reception. Buying vases wholesale is extremely affordable and practical, and will knock a couple of hundred dollars off your price. Keep in mind that when you purchase your vases you can also rent them or sell them after your wedding to make some money back.

I will also suggest checking out ETSY.com for bridal and and bridal party bouquets. A co-worker of mine used etsy for her bouquets and they were STUNNING. I'm not one for fake flowers, but I have to admit that they were absolutely gorgeous.
    Do people really go to these lengths to save a couple bucks?? I mean, c'mon. The time I spend trying to sell (and pack and ship) the vases or rent them, I'd rather just pay a little more and have someone take care of it. My time is worth money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards