Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wording for a No-Kids Wedding

I would not like to have any children at my wedding.  How do I word that politely in the invitations?

Re: Wording for a No-Kids Wedding

• doeydo said:
    I would not like to have any children at my wedding.  How do I word that politely in the invitations?

Simple. Don't put their names on the invitation.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Um, well, if someone shows up anyways with a baby in tow, I will not be pleased.  I am therefore really trying to prevent that.  Is stating "adult ceremony and reception" suitable?
  • doeydo said:
    Um, well, if someone shows up anyways with a baby in tow, I will not be pleased.  I am therefore really trying to prevent that.  Is stating "adult ceremony and reception" suitable?
    No.  It's very rude to point out who ISN'T invited.  Simply address invitations to the people who are invited.  For example: Mr. and Mrs. Smith.  If they send back their RSVP card with 3, you call them up and explain that your'e sorry for the confusion, but the invitation was just for the two of them and you hope they can still make it.

Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • You put only the names of the people invited. If someone RSVPs with their baby, you call and tell them no. If they show up anyway with a baby, I can promise you that having put "adults only" on your invitations would not have prevented that from happening since they ignored your phone call. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ok. thanks for your input ladies.  I'll just invite the people I want to come and if they RSVP with their kids or something then I'll talk to them about it.  
  • I know families who would feel an invitation to them would mean everyone, not just the names on the card. Is it weird for me to feel I'd rather put something indicating there's no kids on the invite than actually have that stressful/awkward conversation explaining they can't being their children?
  • I know families who would feel an invitation to them would mean everyone, not just the names on the card. Is it weird for me to feel I'd rather put something indicating there's no kids on the invite than actually have that stressful/awkward conversation explaining they can't being their children?
    Yes, some people will feel this, but that doesn't mean that you should meet rudeness with rudeness.  It is tacky to put anything about who is not invited on an invitation, so if your guests are clueless, you will unfortunately need to have that awkward conversation.
  • Here's why it's rude to say "adults only reception" or any rendition thereof: It is rude to say who is NOT invited. By saying "adults only," you're saying kids aren't welcome. 

Just because some people are frightened by "awkward phone calls" doesn't make it ok to be rude to ALL your guests because you are afraid some guests will be rude. It makes no sense at all.
    *********************************************************************************

• NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    What could be clearer than putting the invitees name on the envelope?
  • You know rude people.
  • I just don't think they've ever been told it works any other way.
  • libby2483 said:
    I just don't think they've ever been told it works any other way.
    Well, if they RSVP with additional people for your wedding, you'll have the opportunity to politely inform them.
    This.  And be prepared for "it's always been that way" whines.  You'll need to stand firm with these people and make clear that you're not bending the rules for them, as well as huffy refusals to attend.
  • You should never include who IS NOT invited on an invitation.  The invitations are addressed to the people that ARE invited.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know my cousin simply put ADULTS ONLY right on the invite and apologized in advance. The only children that were there was my nephew and that was because my cousin wanted him in her wedding pictures
    Bad idea, putting who is NOT invited.
  • How about adding a line that says We have reserved __ seats in your honor and fill in the space?

I kinda like that idea.
  • Have the RSVP cards look something like this...

____ of 2 will attend

____ We will not be able to attend.

• I would prefer to let the guest know...before hand than avoiding it. Its your party and you do what you want AND makes you happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards