Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

cape cod- wedding date HELP!

I am recently engaged. My fiancé and I always knew we wanted to get married in Cape Cod. We found a venue (Sea crest in Falmouth), my big problem is deciding between May 3, 2014, or September 6, 2014. We want a "beach" themed wedding. The pros on May is that the rental fee is cheaper, and there is no minimum night stay for our guests. The cons is mostly the chance that weather will not be as nice as September. I also don't want to make my guests feel uncomfortable financially if they are forced to stay for 2 nights. The more I think about it the more confused I get. I know I need to just make a decision and be happy with it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. also if anyone knows of any hotels in cape cod that wouldn't have a 2 night minimum stay in September?

Re: cape cod- wedding date HELP!

• Options
    Congratulations! I am getting married in June on the upper cape and also wanted a very "beachy" feel to my wedding day. We had very few weekends available to us (due to other commitments) but were tossing around the idea of early May as well. Ultimately we decided that the weather in early May was just too risky for us and our vision (getting married on the beach, rehearsal dinner possibly outside, our guests enjoying the Cape all weekend).  I used http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/ to look at the trends in temperature over the past few years and found that most days in early May in the upper cape have high's in the 50's to low 60's.  If you are trying to get married on the beach with temps in the 50's, it's going to feel cold for you and your guests... In my opinion, September is the best month to enjoy the Cape - beautiful weather, warmer water, possibly fewer vacationers depending on the time of the month.

Can't help you on the hotel minimums, as I haven't done my research on that yet!
  • Options
    I agree with the poster above...early May could be nice, but it's a pretty risky time of the year if you really want a beach/summer-themed wedding! There are some hotels in Falmouth that don't require a two-night minimum. (Though some of your friends and family will have to spend two nights anyway if they are attending the rehearsal dinner.)

Here are a few Falmouth hotels I found in my research that offer one-night stays:
    The Mariner Motel - a simple hotel on Main Street in Falmouth, gets good reviews for what it is
    The Seaside Inn - in Falmouth Heights
    The Palmer House Inn - a B&B off of Main Street
    Bailey's by the Sea - an oceanfront B&B 
    Admiralty Inn - this place isn't in good shape, but it's the only big hotel that offers 1-night Saturday stays
  • Options
    P.S. I think the Falmouth Inn also offers one-night stays, but it doesn't have great visitor reviews either.
  • Options

September, hands down.  September on the Cape is the best.  Provided your vip's can afford the two nights, I wouldn't worry - anyone who can't do it will find a way to make it work (ie, staying just off Cape, or taking the new rail line.)  Either way, they are adults and will make it work if they can.  But the weather will be nicer, the guests will (hopefully) be more comfortable, and you may find a couple hotels willing to help you out with the night minimum.  Your best bet is just to start calling them and asking.

Anniversary
  • Options
    You may get lucky with the two night minimum at the Cape in September because it is after Labor Day Weekend. I was married at the SeaCrest in July 2011 and at the time I was thinking about a September wedding. At that time a lot of places didn't have the two night minimum because it was after Labor Day. We only ended up with the July date because that was what worked with our Church. If you have any questions about the SeaCrest, let me know!
  • Options
    AlipapsAlipaps member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Hi! I got married last September on the Cape and it was perfect. Many vendors say it's even more popuar than June! I recommend September, (even with the threat of hurricanes, which can happen,) because so many places that close for the off season are open in Sept, but not early May, if that makes a difference to you.

I found a couple of really great deals on weneedavacation.com. People will rent condos daily after Labor Day. Some have minimum stay requirements, but they vary. I'd check it out.
  • Options
    I vote September. You could always do a hotel block at a different hotel/inn that doesn't have 2 night minimum for those guests who don't want to stay the 2 nights. We got married on Labor day of 2011 (Sept 5), which was the start of the "off season" rates for the Coonamesset Inn, and they only had a 1 night minimum. So you could always offer that as an additional option for your guests. 
  • Options
    Cape residents will tell you the best weather/prettiest month on the Cape is September!
  • Options
    Cape residents will tell you the best weather/prettiest month on the Cape is September!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_cape-cod-wedding-date-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:94Discussion:ac40259f-7ec1-4f7b-a761-8f3b4dcfdccbPost:1683b0d9-99d5-4bd4-a056-f86f30d0385d">Re: cape cod- wedding date HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cape residents will tell you the best weather/prettiest month on the Cape is September!
    Posted by capecod50[/QUOTE]

And because all the tourist are heading home...haha

No seriously, I would do September over early May.  But Lobster, what rail line are you talking about?  The one that goes to Kingston?
    June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_cape-cod-wedding-date-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:94Discussion:ac40259f-7ec1-4f7b-a761-8f3b4dcfdccbPost:ac108183-ba0b-464a-9ac9-4f646eceb86c">Re: cape cod- wedding date HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cape cod- wedding date HELP! : And because all the tourist are heading home...haha No seriously, I would do September over early May.  But Lobster, what rail line are you talking about?  The one that goes to Kingston?
    Posted by ciligirl[/QUOTE]

<div>Nope, the new one from Boston starting this spring.  Here's the website with info-</div><div><a href="http://capeflyer.com/#sthash.w3JH2eJW.dpbs" rel="nofollow">http://capeflyer.com/#sthash.w3JH2eJW.dpbs</a></div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    you do not have to have a two night stay until after May 31
    so, your May wedding will be fine. my daughter is getting married at the sea crest on June 7,2014
    Jenn keys and Lindsay are great and only required one night stay for June 7, 2014 on a Saturday night @189.00 a nite and will hold ip to 20 rooms
    good luck
    mob
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards