Honeymoon Discussions

Just booked honeymoon to Curacao - Tips?

We just booked our honeymoon to Curacao.  We are staying at the Marriott in Willemstad. Any tips for things to do or must see attractions? My FI and I are pretty active and adventurous. We are not doing an all-inclusive, so restaurant tips are welcome.  Any good/bad experience with rental cars?  It seems like the island would be fun to explore by jeep or something. Did anyone have any safety concerns while there?  I've heard mixed things.  Thanks for any help!  

Re: Just booked honeymoon to Curacao - Tips?

• Congrats. I have never been. I suggest drinking a lot of blue curacao :)
  • Hi we loved curaçao. There's car rental places at the airport. We used hertz and the office was in the beaches resort ( we stayed near it). Fort Nassau is a great restaurant. Drive around and snorkel at the different beaches. Playa lagun was my fave. No safety concerns but like anywhere didn't invite a mugging of myself. No need to rent a jeep. You're not offroading. We actually never made it into Willemstad the whole week we were there. Our resort was next to the aquarium. Tons of great restaurants along the beach there. Hemingways was very good.

• I stayed at the Marriott a few years ago and really enjoyed it.  The iguanas that roamed the resort were entertaining.  I remember the pool bar being lively.  The beach bar at the hotel is a great place to have a drink at sunset.  I think I remember seeing a car rental place at the hotel.   

Hooks Hut, just down the road, was a fun place to grab a bite.  I think you can pay and stay on their beach if you want to change things up a bit.  We went across the street for our Valentines dinner in the restaurant at the Floris hotel.  It was really romantic and delicious.  There was an Indonesian restaurant up a hill down the road from the hotel that was really interesting.  Try the rijstaffel (a bunch of small dishes to sample). I'm not sure if it's still open.

Otherwise, we went into Williamstad for meals.  It's a beautiful and very historic city.  I did a tour of the city on a prior cruise stop and found it very interesting. 

Curacao has great snorkeling.  There is good snorkeling just off of the hotel.  Go to the dive shop and ask them where to go.  We did two excellent excursions (picked up from the hotel).   One was out to Klien Curacao (a small island).  We took a catamaran out there and spent several hours swimming with baby turtles, snorkeling, walking the beautiful beach, and sleeping under palapas.  The second was a snorkeling excursion to the sunken tugboat and another area on the other side of the island. 

The island is one of the more prosperous in the Caribbean.  They have their own industries (oil and something else) and don't need to rely on tourism.  I felt very safe there.  Enjoy!!

Oh.. and bring water shoes.  Many beaches have coral pieces imbedded in the sand.  This is especially true at the Marriott. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards