March 2014 Weddings

Changing jobs 7 months from wedding day?

edited August 2013 in March 2014 Weddings
I have been tossing around the possibility of changing jobs recently and have been sending out my resume to local businesses that have positions available in my line of work.  I just got off the phone with a potential new employer and have set up an interview for Thursday evening after I get out of my current job. I'm excited because the aspects of the position that I am interviewing for, is right up my alley.  Multi-tasking, computer work, management, etc.  While there will be a longer commute (35-45 minutes) than my current commute (15-20 minutes), the pay is greater than the measly peanuts that I'm making now.  

After discussing the position and getting details on salary ranges (mid/high 30k - low 40k yearly), it would be a giant step in the right direction for me.  Not to mention, my wallet, household bills, wedding bills, FI, DS, and dogs would thank me.  I would be able to help out MORE and still have money left over...rather than living pay check to paycheck, pinching every penny that I bring in.  I'm sure I'd still be a penny pincher, but still...it would be nice to see money, still in the bank, 2 days after pay day.  

Only worry I have is this - I didn't disclose that I am in getting married in 7 months.  It really isn't any of their business until they actually offer me a job.  I did say that I had taken the first week of September off (FI is having his wisdom teeth removed), but that would only help THEM if they offer me the job because then I wouldn't have to take the full week off....just one day for his surgery.  I'm sure they'll ask if I have any future dates that I would need to take off for....but March is 7 months away.  Do I disclose that now or wait?  Part of me thinks it should be mentioned since, even though we're not going on a honeymoon, I am taking a partial day on Thursday, and the entire day the Friday before and possibly the Monday after the wedding.  

Is it ok to change jobs 7 months from our wedding day? Is it a wise move or something I should stay away from?  I mean, this opportunity may not present itself later down the line......

Wedding Countdown Ticker
Michelle & Ronald
01/03/81
06/18/81
08/25/10
05/07/13
03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
image 40 are party poopers
image 0 awaiting reply
Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.

Re: Changing jobs 7 months from wedding day?

• It's definitely ok to change jobs, and it sounds like you need to seize this opportunity.  7 months is plenty of time to settle in before the wedding.  I would disclose now that you're getting married in March.  If they're reasonable, it shouldn't be an issue.  And surely 7 months is enough time to save up the 2.5 vacation days you're talking about?  And if it is an issue for them, maybe you're dodging a bullet by finding out now.
  • It's definitely ok to change jobs, and it sounds like you need to seize this opportunity.  7 months is plenty of time to settle in before the wedding.  I would disclose now that you're getting married in March.  If they're reasonable, it shouldn't be an issue.  And surely 7 months is enough time to save up the 2.5 vacation days you're talking about?  And if it is an issue for them, maybe you're dodging a bullet by finding out now.
    During my phone screening, I had mentioned I was taking the first week of September off and she said "ok."  What she doesn't know is that, if I were to take this job, I would only take 9/3 off as my FI is getting his wisdom teeth taken out and it's my son's first day of 7th grade (can't miss that - haven't missed a first day of school in the 8 years he's been in school!).  

I was told that they're very laid back, and I'm sure that taking 2.5 days off won't be a big issue. I will mention something to her during my interview this evening.  I'm getting nervous, that's for sure.  It's a BIG step and I have my FI supporting me no matter what.  My fingers are crossed.  Now, what to wear!!! LOL. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
    image 40 are party poopers
    image 0 awaiting reply
    Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.
  • I've also been looking around for jobs, and I feel you here! I stopped my search about a month ago, but I'm still in the running for a position I applied to in May. 

I wouldn't sweat it. The main thing you have going for yourself here is the calendar year! I told both the hiring manager (it came up during conversation and I actually felt odd about it), and the HR person (because I was curious if it would be an issue) during interviews. The HR guy said not to worry about it because my vacation would pro-rate until the end of the year, but since January starts a new year, vacation time re-sets, and I'd get 3 weeks. (which is good because I'm going to take 2 of those for the wedding!)

I hope your interview went well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards