Wedding Reception Forum

Venue

AljcrjAljcrj member
First Comment
edited August 2013 in Wedding Reception Forum

Re: Venue

• Aljcrj said:
    Hey ladies, I live in CT but we really want to have our wedding in Vermont. We're working with a really tight budget. We will probably have up to 60 guests and need to stay under 5k. My fiancé loves Vermont and we are going to go with a country chic theme. He doesn't know it yet but he'll be surprised and love it! Any and all suggestions are welcome! And any country chic ideas hit me with em ;)

You should probably tell your fiance the theme and details for his own wedding.

That being said, Google "Country wedding" or "Rustic wedding" and you'll get thousands if not millions of ideas.

• You haven't discussed your plans for your wedding with your FI?  It is his wedding too and what happens if you go to all this trouble to plan out this Vermont wedding and after you tell him he decides that he would rather get married in CT?

• What if your FI doesn't like "country chic" as a theme?  It's his wedding too.

For things this big, don't make the decisions unilaterally as a "surprise" for him, or you may get a surprise of your own...of the unpleasant variety.
  • Yaaa guess I didn't word this correctly! He loves Vermont so he assumed we were going to do it in ct which he wasn't too excited about. So last night I told him we'd check out VT he was super excited! As far as the theme his thing is country and its not really mine and I stumbled across country chic and like it. So I'm going to pitch it to him next week when we go to see a venue we came across!! I would never just go forward without his input. But thanks anyway.
  • What is "country chic" anyways?

• Google it...
  • Aljcrj said:
    Google it...
    The thing is I did google it and it still doesn't make sense to me.  I don't really see where the "chic" part comes into play.  So since you are planning a "country chic" wedding I figured I would ask since you would most likely know the answer.

• I think "country chic" means country, but not too country/redneck.  Redneck wedding: Camouflage limousine with some good ol toungue action, gross
  • So basically it is a made up phrase to make the wedding sound more fancy.  Gotcha.

"Country chic" brings back memories of an episode of SYTTD Atlanta where the bride wanted a country chic wedding and wedding dress but when they asked her what that meant she couldn't really give an answer and basically said "well it is country but elegant".

Anyways I think themes are dumb.  Just decorate the reception how you want, why is a theme necessary?

• So basically it is a made up phrase to make the wedding sound more fancy.  Gotcha.

"Country chic" brings back memories of an episode of SYTTD Atlanta where the bride wanted a country chic wedding and wedding dress but when they asked her what that meant she couldn't really give an answer and basically said "well it is country but elegant".

Anyways I think themes are dumb.  Just decorate the reception how you want, why is a theme necessary?
    I think themes can be nice because they help guide whoever's planning the wedding. That doesn't mean weddings have to have a theme, but some tend to get eclectic without a vision. I don't understand why everyone freaks out over the idea of giving a wedding a theme. Everyone likes to shoot them down because "the theme of a wedding should be marriage," but having a theme doesn't necessarily take away the purpose of the day. 

Just sayin'. 
  • ElcaB said:
    So basically it is a made up phrase to make the wedding sound more fancy.  Gotcha.

I think themes can be nice because they help guide whoever's planning the wedding. That doesn't mean weddings have to have a theme, but some tend to get eclectic without a vision. I don't understand why everyone freaks out over the idea of giving a wedding a theme. Everyone likes to shoot them down because "the theme of a wedding should be marriage," but having a theme doesn't necessarily take away the purpose of the day. 

Just sayin'. 
    I just think that many brides who have themes tend to have blinders on and can't think of anything else.

I think that a wedding should reflect you and your SOs style.  If you are both easy going and relaxed type of people then a grand ballroom and a huge gown is probably not the best.  Same goes for if you are both into modern feel then a country style wedding is probably not your cup of tea.

Look I think it is fine to have a reference in mind when planning out your wedding.  Like "oh I like the country feel" or "I want something retro" but to have to name a specific theme and then go all Pinterest/Style Me Pretty crazy is over the top and can just be too much.

I just don't get why brides feel the need to label their wedding.

• ElcaB said:
    So basically it is a made up phrase to make the wedding sound more fancy.  Gotcha.

Just sayin'. 
    No one really freaks out.  I think the problem with themes is just that they get taken too far.  People strive so hard for "cute," "clever," "original," "us," "meaningful," etc. that they forget that the purpose of a wedding and reception isn't to showcase egos-it's a ceremony to unite two people, followed by hospitality for the guests. 

A few themed things are nice, but when every decoration, centerpiece, food, cake, etc. follows that "theme," it can seem overdone.
  • Don't they have a snarky bride forum? Maybe you should drift off that way. This is suppose to be a happy thing you're a downer! It has a significance to myself as to my fiancée. It means whatever you want it to mean. I don't need to explain it to you. it's "made up" to you then whatever. I think people should choose whatever they want for their wedding day. Don't get why people knock down others for their likes and interests. If YOU don't like my "theme" oh well not your day girlfriend!
  • I would definitely suggest spending some time on the budget/DIY board if you're planning a $5k wedding. It's totally do-able and there are some good ideas there.

Keep in mind favors, programs and most decorations aren't necessary. Make sure you post specific questions when you start getting into planning. Good luck!
    *********************************************************************************

• Yes I've been doing my research. This is last minute for us. We didn't plan on having it until 2015. We are moving next June and want to do it before we move. But I think as long as the venue, food, and drinks are good everyone will be satisfied. We're keeping it simple and only inviting family and close friends. Thanks!
  • Don't they have a snarky bride forum? Maybe you should drift off that way. This is suppose to be a happy thing you're a downer! It has a significance to myself as to my fiancée. It means whatever you want it to mean. I don't need to explain it to you. it's "made up" to you then whatever. I think people should choose whatever they want for their wedding day. Don't get why people knock down others for their likes and interests. If YOU don't like my "theme" oh well not your day girlfriend!
    Seriously? I never said I didn't like your theme. In fact I don't know what your theme is because you won't take the time to explain it to me even after I asked.  And if you can't explain it then that is basically telling me that it is a made up combo of words just because you feel the need to have a theme.  So please explain it to me.  And if you read my post closer you would have noticed that I said that having an overall feeling for what you want is fine it is when brides get tunnel vision and go over board with their theme (like if they don't have the style of spoon everything is ruined) where it gets a bit crazy.

But when I asked what country chic was that was a serious question, not snark and instead of explaining your fucking vision you told me to google it.  Well google doesn't really explain your specific ideas now does it?

Finally these are all my opinions that I am free to express especially on a public forum.  I personally think having a theme for your wedding is dumb and in your opinion you don't think it is dumb.  Isn't it great that everyone can have an opinion.  And instead of explaining things you call me a downer and tell me to head on over to the snarky board.  So why don't you grow up and explain your wedding and maybe make me change my mind.

• Aljcrj said:
    Don't they have a snarky bride forum? Maybe you should drift off that way. This is suppose to be a happy thing you're a downer! It has a significance to myself as to my fiancée. It means whatever you want it to mean. I don't need to explain it to you. it's "made up" to you then whatever. I think people should choose whatever they want for their wedding day. Don't get why people knock down others for their likes and interests. If YOU don't like my "theme" oh well not your day girlfriend!
    The point is that your guests will be thinking the same thing Maggie expressed. And since they are your GUESTS, you need to think about them.

I think the wedding gets overpowered by a theme when you need to ask people on the internet how you can incorporate the theme. It is inorganic because it is not significant to you, it was suggested by strangers on the internet (or pinterist) in order to fit your theme. Now, if the theme of your wedding is wedding, you'll be just fine.

Anniversary

• Oh my! This is really quite the experience.. What's the need to be aggressive? Sorry but this is unnecessary. Thought this was a place to look for advice and ideas. GUESS NOT! Well it was worth a shot.....
  • So I am safe to assume you have no idea what country chic is. I asked you a serious question when I asked what country chic is but you got snotty instead. I also expressed my opinion about themes and instead of just accepting that our opinions are different you got even more snotty. And if you want advice then you should probably explain your wedding and theme a bit more so that we can actually give you advice. I don't know what country chic means so me trying to give you freaking ideas is impossible.

• OP - I agree w/ Maggie.....can you please explain your thoughts and vision of "country chic"?  Perhaps we'd be able to guide you better.  
  • -white flag- this is pointless. All I was looking for was advice on a venue.
  • Oh my god we are willing to help you but we can't if you don't explain what you want in your wedding. As for a location I suggest posting on the local board for Vermont and those local ladies will be able to help you out more then us on the international boards who are from all over.

• Ok seriously @Aljcrj I gave you advice on where to find information on a venue. Myself and another poster have asked you to explain your theme so we can give you ideas. What the fuck else do you want me to say? If you want ideas explain the theme to us. How is this so hard to understand!

• Really? I don't want you to say anything seeing as you use nasty language like that. Ew.
  • Ok now I am calling troll so I am done.

• I was done a while ago you couldn't resist an argument I guess. Thanks for the advice?
  • Aljcrj said:
    I was done a while ago you couldn't resist an argument I guess. Thanks for the advice?

You clearly aren't done if you are still posting.
  • Aljcrj said:
    Hey ladies, I live in CT but we really want to have our wedding in Vermont. We're working with a really tight budget. We will probably have up to 60 guests and need to stay under 5k. My fiancé loves Vermont and we are going to go with a country chic theme. He doesn't know it yet but he'll be surprised and love it! Any and all suggestions are welcome! And any country chic ideas hit me with em ;)
    (I skipped reading previous posts, sorry)

Go here: http://www.putneyinn.com/putneyinnvermontweddings.html

i got married there several years back and had an amazing wedding. PM if you want more details. You can do it well under 5k

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • clg1213clg1213 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013

deleted 'cause porscha deleted the spammer ad so my note is no longer appropriate 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards