African American Weddings

Question About Dress Fitting

Hi ladies,

I am new to the forum. Our wedding date is July 20, 2014...since I'm a teacher I am trying to utilize this summer to get some of the wedding planning out of the way.

I found my dream dress and I have already tried it on twice (first time with Mom, second time with bridesmaids). I'm in love, it's the Allure 8917 dress.

The place that I considered ordering from (until I found it for 100.00 less in Delaware (and no tax)...the owner informed me that I would need to pay the manufacturer 200.00 to alter the length of my dress. She said she would need to take a head-to-toe measurement while I am in my wedding shoes and she said she would send the info to them when I order the dress. She also said I would need to pay about 400 to the store for alterations. (Bustle, tightening etc.)

Is this normal? 600+ for alterations? Or is this highway robbery?

Re: Question About Dress Fitting

• marsm4marsm4 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Hi Elle, sorry I have no knowledge of how much this should cost, but I have to say that sound like it's WAY too much!  I could be wrong... GORGEOUS DRESS :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ellegantdani CONGRATS on your engagement and finding the dress... (IT IS BEAUTIFUL BTW) I have ordered my dress as well (WE ARE MONTH TWINS BTW...SO YAYYYY FOR US LOL) and the women on the board have all stated that alterations can be pricey... I dont think it is a way around it unfortunately and since you are ordering it now at least you can pay little by little to pay it off but i believe thats about right when it comes to the pricing...
    But tell us more about your wedding and colors and your wedding plans.... Welcome to the best board on TK

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• Hi ladies! Thank you sooooo much for your replies :-). And I'm EXCITED too that we are month twins @misstira! I guess I will just have to suck it up and bite the bullet with the alterations price. I will see what the store in Delaware says for their alteration costs. The store that I tried the dress on is in Pennsylvania (the prices just seem to be way more expensive in PA!). 

More info about the wedding: My fiance proposed to me on February 23. I spent the first couple of months enjoying the engagement. Now we're starting to actually do the planning. Our colors are Blush and Grey (accent possibly Ivory). We are going for a rustic theme wedding with lace accents as well. We've found our venue and put the down payment on it. We're doing our e-session in less than two weeks on August 10 (I'm getting NERVOUS, it's so close!)...we decided to do them early because we want to use them for our save-the-dates and also because we wanted the *summery* feel that we wouldn't get in the colder months. 

How is your planing for your wedding going so far? What are your colors? This is all so very exciting!

• ellegantdani YAYYY so happy to get to know more about your planning and OMG GIRL them colors are GORGEOUS together! I absolutely love them... SN: You should definitely look around for alteration pricing (I WOULD JUST CALL A BUNCH OF OTHER STORES AND SEE WHAT ARE THE OTHER PRICES THEY CAN QUOTE YOU ON) now yesss im super nervous and ready to walk down the aisle... Im in Miami so i always have that summery feel but i may not take any epics until Oct or Nov i need to first drop some lb's before i get in front of any camera LOL.. My colors are Coral, Peach-Coral, Peach, Salmon, Ivory (cream) with Tan, Beige and Browns... (Rustic-Romantic Theme) (SEEMS LIKE WE HAVE THAT RUSTIC FEEL IN COMMON.. We have been on and off with dates so i generally have a few things already out of the way but hopefully within the next couple of weeks we should go out to officially book our venue... (fingers crossed)

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• I've always dreamed about a destination wedding in Miami or on an island...you have the perfect location for a wedding!! I love your color combination, it's so tropical and just has that beautiful summer-y feel! And it's great that you live in Florida because the weather is nice down there all year around (except for the storm season). It's also the perfect place for a rustic/romantic theme (GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE on that theme!) I've been trying to drop some pounds myself so that I could shimmy into a dress I bought months ago for my e-session. You've got a great plan so far and I'm sure that everything will work out with you booking the venue in the next couple of weeks. Best of luck to you in your plans, I'm glad that we are both starting our wedding planning a year in advance ;0)
  • I agree with @misstira, shop around before you commit. Im in dallas and Davids Bridal was trying to charge $300 for a bustle and hem, and I found a lady highly recommeded on the dallas board and she charged me $150 and does awesome work. 
  • Yes, I agree with Tira.  Alterations can be pricey.  @bride2013skj said it best....shop around! 

Welcome to the boards suga!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Simply Fabulous!
  • LeciaBLeciaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    love the dress adn welcome to the board

Daisypath - (PNE7)
  • LeciaBLeciaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I agree with @misstira, shop around before you commit. Im in dallas and Davids Bridal was trying to charge $300 for a bustle and hem, and I found a lady highly recommeded on the dallas board and she charged me $150 and does awesome work. 

for real?? becasue I was going to go to davids bridal but for that kind of money I will go else where

Daisypath - (PNE7)
  • @ellegantdani I haven't settled on a dress yet (I'm way behind) but I have heard that alterations can be pricey. Shop around.  There may be someone local who can do just as good of alterations with a more affordable cost.  And, Welcome!  =)

@bride2013skj Do you mind sharing who the lady is?  I'm in Arkansas, but drive to dallas at least once a month... and I definitely wouldn't mind driving to Dallas for a more affordable alterations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks ladies for all of your help! I am definitely going to shop around and do some comparison pricing!! 
  • you betta werk ms. va va voom!  I hafta know:  what are you looking down at in the picture? lol!
  • WELCOME! LOVE YOUR DRESS! $600 HUH?....I CANT!......LOVELY COLORS.....IM DOING PEACOCK THEME WITH LT GREEN, TURQUOISE, PLUM WITH GOLD ACCENTS.....WAS TO BE MARRIED AT GEORGIOS BANQUETS IN ORLAND PARK, IL (25 MINS FROM CHIRAQ/CHICAGO) BUT MOVED IT TO A CRUISE TO BAHAMAS FROM MIAMI....WEDDING ON THE CRUISE.....OH AND IM ALREADY PICTURING YOU WEDDING.....THINK IVE BEEN ON HERE TOO LONG LOL
    ****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown
  • @aquari0216, are  you in the Chicago area?  I'm in Chicago SOUTH SIDEEEEE! LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yea shop around. They quoted me $300.00 for a hem and corset. Im still looking around
    Mrs. Mosley 2 be
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards