Honeymoon Discussions

Secrets - Maroma Beach

My future SIL HIGHLY recommends this AI. She raves about the food which is a high priority for me. I would hate to be on my HM and not enjoy the meals.

We are pretty set on this already but I was just curious if anyone had any negative feedback about this resort?

Re: Secrets - Maroma Beach

• This is in our top 3 as well! The only negative I have heard/read is about the "timeshare pitch" at the very beginning of your vacation. Apparently it is time consuming, but you can avoid it if you give them a strong "no." The price is high, but apparently well worth it. According to our travel agent, he doesn't think the preferred club is worth the money. We are deciding between Secrets Maroma, Excellence Riviera Cancun (or possibly Playa Mujeres) and POSSIBLY considering the El Dorado Resorts.
  • JerseyAKL said:
    This is in our top 3 as well! The only negative I have heard/read is about the "timeshare pitch" at the very beginning of your vacation. Apparently it is time consuming, but you can avoid it if you give them a strong "no." The price is high, but apparently well worth it. According to our travel agent, he doesn't think the preferred club is worth the money. We are deciding between Secrets Maroma, Excellence Riviera Cancun (or possibly Playa Mujeres) and POSSIBLY considering the El Dorado Resorts.

Are you talking about when you leave the airport? Or something at the resort? The airport thing is easily avoidable. Just walk outside past the kiosks and ry not to engage anyone in conversation. Your transfers will be waiting outside. I have been to a few Secrets properties and never had a problem with pitches onsite. Anyway, I've been to Maroma and it's lovely. I do recommend doing a search for feedback using the seach function on this board. There have been many posts about this property over time, so you can read the various opinions.

• muenginerdmuenginerd member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Maroma Beach.  I haven't found a better place yet.

1.) The food was good, but nothing spectacular.  It wasn't a memorable thing about the resort but wasn't bad by any means.  I thought portions were a little small but they would bring you as much as you wanted.

2.) FI arrived a few hours before I did so I wasn't asked to do they timeshare pitch.  This is presented as "let us give you coupons for a resort".  Just firmly tell them no.  The coupons are not worth sitting through the time share pitch.

3.) We didn't see value in perfered club.  We used the money instead on a swim-out suite and it was a much better choice.  Others in our party who did have the perfered club didn't use many of the perks.

• We HMed at Secrets Maroma and loved everything about it. I don't think the Preferred Club is worth the upgrade; but definitely an amazing trip.

Here's our review: http://hannahandben.weebly.com/honeymoon.html

• I've been to 2 Secrets resorts so far and they were both fabulous! Haven't been to Maroma Beach, but heard only great things about it from a friend who has been there. I don't think you can go wrong with any of their resorts. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @tulips29 Which Secrets resort? We are now leaning towards Jamaica. My Fiancé has been to Mexico a few times so he wants to do something different. However, I was hoping to stick with a Secrets resort.
  • @daniiellerenee we have been to Jamaica and Mexico. Absolutely LOVED Secrets in Jamaica!!! We went there a few months after it opened and they were still working on a few things and improvements, but even then it was amazing! The beach there is way better than in Mexico. Food was also very very good. If you end up going to Jamaica, the Secrets resort is split into Secrets Wild Orchid and Secrets St. James. It's one resort, just 2 different building complexes. There's really no difference between them although I do believe Wild Orchid has rooms on the first floor with swim out pools. Each building complex has 2 pools as well and they share restaurants between both complexes. It really doesn't matter which one you stay in because it's one property. We stayed at the St. James building and it was great! Unlike the Mexico Secrets, this one had a club when we were there, so if you're looking for some nightlife, it's there in the resort. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @tulips29 Thanks for the info! I noticed it was one resort but 2 hotels and wondered what the difference was. We are definitely looking for something that has nightlife and a fun pool. I have heard that Wild Orchid is the way to go for more of a young experience but that the beach at St. James is nicer. It seems like it doesn't make much difference if we can sue both resorts. Also, did you do preferred? Thank again for your help!
  • @daniiellerenee. We didn't do preferred. The beach is pretty much the same since its one long strip. For the pool we used the st James swim up one mostly because it was right outside our room and it was a fun young crowd there. Their rooms are amazing btw!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards