Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR- Baby shower invite for someone you haven't met?

What would you do if you were invited to a shower for someone you've never met? Would you send a gift if you decline?? I was invited to a shower for H's cousin (2 hours away) they got pregnant shortly after they started dating and had a private wedding ceremony right after. H's cousin is the father, I've never met his wife and haven't seen the cousin in > 1 year. I want to decline and not send a gift but my husband is making me feel guilty. It doesn't help that they no-showed to our wedding and cost us $175, and we haven't heard a word from them since. Is it rude to not send a gift? I don't want to respond to rudeness with rudeness but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Re: NWR- Baby shower invite for someone you haven't met?

• Decline graciously and don't send a gift. You're still within acceptable behavior as far as etiquette goes.
  • edited August 2013
    I would probably decline since I don't know mom- or dad-to-be. You could send a little gift, though - maybe a couple of onesies or a favorite book from when you were a kid.

ETA: removing unnecessary obligation
  • abl13 said:
    What would you do if you were invited to a shower for someone you've never met? Would you send a gift if you decline?? I was invited to a shower for H's cousin (2 hours away) they got pregnant shortly after they started dating and had a private wedding ceremony right after. H's cousin is the father, I've never met his wife and haven't seen the cousin in > 1 year. I want to decline and not send a gift but my husband is making me feel guilty. It doesn't help that they no-showed to our wedding and cost us $175, and we haven't heard a word from them since. Is it rude to not send a gift? I don't want to respond to rudeness with rudeness but it just rubs me the wrong way.

I would decline, and send a card.

If you're feeling generous, send a pack of onezies and socks or a small gift from the registry if it's their first child.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    If I didn't know either of the parents, I'd decline.  Maybe I'll send a card, depending on relationships with persons this person knows, but that's as far as I'll go.

Edited to add: Tell your husband to stop trying to make you feel guilty, and he can send a card if it's so important to him to maintain a relationship that put you out $175.
  • I think you should decline and leave it at that. If your husband wants you to send a gift, he can do it himself.
  • itzMS said:
    abl13 said:

I would decline, and send a card.

If you're feeling generous, send a pack of onezies and socks or a small gift from the registry if it's their first child.

This is what I would do. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Nope, no way. If FI feels so strongly, he can send a gift. 
  • scribe95 said:
    I just want to clarify - you invited someone you hadn't met to your wedding but you are annoyed they invited you to a baby shower?

They're family....had to invite them....she wasn't invited to my bridal shower so why would I attend hers?
  • I would decline, and send a card.

This.  I second/third it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards