Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Ceremony and reception in same place (one big room)

This is going to a be a small wedding (75 guests) who will be seated at tables.  We are going to walk down an aisle between the tables to an area in the front of the room for our ceremony.  I'm estimating the whole ceremony to take 10 minutes.  Then we walk back down, and out the door, for pictures.

My question is:  Then what?  For the guests?  Does the DJ just start playing light music and everyone hit the food and bar until we get back in for our first dance?  

Re: Ceremony and reception in same place (one big room)

• Yes. You should have a cocktail hour of some sort.
  • I'm not sure if this is what you mean from your post, but I wouldn't have the guests eat dinner without you.  While you are taking pictures, they should have a cocktail hour with drinks and appetizers.  Then, when you return, dinner can be served.  You could do your first dance before or after dinner.
  • This kind of wedding is practical for me. Guest, however should wait for the newly wed before eating the dinner, There could be activities or program to make the visitors enjoy their wait such as a video about the couples, some performances and speeches.
  • msgrinn said:
    This kind of wedding is practical for me. Guest, however should wait for the newly wed before eating the dinner, There could be activities or program to make the visitors enjoy their wait such as a video about the couples, some performances and speeches.
    Nobody "enjoys their wait" while being a captive audience for these things.  This is what a cocktail hour is for-to entertain the guests while the couple takes pictures-without videos, performances, or speeches.
  • While you take pictures, they should be served light refreshments.  Call it a cocktail hour or not, but they should be served light food while you are gone.  Once you return, you can have dinner and dancing.  Most people won't feel comfortable dancing before the couple's first dance, so light music is probably what's most practical. 

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Agreed- this interlude between the ceremony and reception is the "cocktail hour" where your DJ would play light music and the guests are served something to drink and eat. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards