Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Grooms Cake

Hey everyone!
So I'm getting married next year, but even though it seems soo far away, it's not! But been in a big wedding planning kick! So thinking about a grooms cake! I reallyyyy want to do a sports themed one with my FH's fave teams! But now I'm thinking, it might be better for the rehearsal dinner, where it might be more appreciated, and seen more.  I feel like at the wedding, there's enough going on, but there's more people to also see it! So I'm so confused on what to do! Just asking for an opinion if anyone else has done something like this as well also or has any ideas!

Thanks!

Re: Grooms Cake

• Options
    Allie2185 said:
    Hey everyone!
    So I'm getting married next year, but even though it seems soo far away, it's not! But been in a big wedding planning kick! So thinking about a grooms cake! I reallyyyy want to do a sports themed one with my FH's fave teams! But now I'm thinking, it might be better for the rehearsal dinner, where it might be more appreciated, and seen more.  I feel like at the wedding, there's enough going on, but there's more people to also see it! So I'm so confused on what to do! Just asking for an opinion if anyone else has done something like this as well also or has any ideas!

Thanks!
    No grooms cake for us. I think it's a cute idea. I would say it sounds like you are in the early stages of wedding planning. Before having your heart set on the grooms cake, maybe make sure your budget will allow it. I also think the grooms cake at the rehearsal would be a very cool idea. I see nothing wrong with having the grooms cake with the wedding cake either.
  • Options
    I think one of the bigger "issues" about revealing/serving the groom's cake at the wedding reception is the size of the cake.  Often, the cake is a smaller, but more expensive "wow factor" cake.  I personally think that if you serve something at the reception itself, it should be large enough to allow all your guests a hearty taste of it, at the very least.

My daughter opted to surprise her FI with his groom's cake at the rehearsal.  It was actually her aunt's apple pie, which FI had grown to love in the years they had dated.  It was always his personal request at family events.  I think it is becoming more customary to present and serve it at the rehearsal.
  • Options
    We had the groom's cake at the rehearsal. Since that is a smaller event, we could afford to have enough of the groom's cake to offer everyone a slice, whereas if it had been served at the wedding we wouldn't have been able to afford two cakes that would serve 120 guests. It's kind of crappy to serve something knowing you don't have enough for everyone, so having it at the rehearsal eliminates that dilemma altogether.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We also had the groom's cake at our rehearsal dinner - DH was totally surprised and absolutely loved it. It was really nice to have it as a "big reveal" moment. Our bridal party and parents were all up taking pictures of it, and I was able to spend more on detail work on the smaller cake than I would have been able to if we were feeding everyone with it at the reception.
  • Options
    I think a groom's cake is better suited to the rehearsal.  The cake is usually smaller and having it at the rehearsal (with presumably far fewer guests than the wedding) will pretty much guarantee everyone can have a slice.  Because if it were at the wedding, I'd want a slice of the wedding cake AND the groom's cake.  :D
  • Options
    If we were having a rehearsal dinner, we would probably have the cake there. Instead, we are having a dessert table in addition to our wedding cake, so it will go there. It's probably not technically a groom's cake at that point but it is one that the groom really wants and will be surprised by.
  • Options
    What does your FI want?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    please, help me to understand the purpose of a groom's cake? 

• Options
    scribe95 said:
    The purpose as far as I can tell is to spend more money. It's just another cake, sometimes more elaborate and usually chocolate - dedicated to FI's interests. I don't get it.
    I would agree.  I think it began as a regional tradition/custom.  With the advances in technology and their related websites....TK, WW, Pinterest, FB, etc., many of these local/regional customs are spread across the states.  And, like everything else, once someONE decides to have something, EVERYone thinks they have to do it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards