Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Slew of Questions

A friend of ours is being our officiant, and we have a few ceremony things that we are unsure about, so if anyone can offer a suggestion, please do!
1. During the processional, do parents participate, are they seated, etc?
2. What is the vocal exchange between the FOB and the officiant? We hate "Who gives this bride away?" Any new ideas??
3. Generally, are vows and rings done at the same time or different times?
4. My fiancee's family  is Jewish, but aren't that religious. We would like to incorporate the breaking of the glass- Does anyone have any resources for the wording of this? No, our officiant certainly isn't a rabbi and we realize this is rather non-traditional, but so are we.

Thanks <3

Re: Slew of Questions

• Options
    Ldnaghey said:
    A friend of ours is being our officiant, and we have a few ceremony things that we are unsure about, so if anyone can offer a suggestion, please do!

In a typical processional, the officiant, best man and groom enter and wait at the top of the ceremony space.  Sometimes, grandparents are seated at this time as part of the processional.  The parents of the groom usually enter next.  The mother of the bride is typically the last to be seated, and signals the start of the bridal party entrance.

2. What is the vocal exchange between the FOB and the officiant? We hate "Who gives this bride away?" Any new ideas??

Often there is no overt or audible exchange between the FOB and officiant.  When my daughter reached the altar, my husband hugged her, shook the groom's hand, and sat down.

I think intentions are stated first, then vows, and then the exchange of rings.

4. My fiancee's family  is Jewish, but aren't that religious. We would like to incorporate the breaking of the glass- Does anyone have any resources for the wording of this? No, our officiant certainly isn't a rabbi and we realize this is rather non-traditional, but so are we.

Thanks <3
    There are lots of examples of typical wedding timelines on a google search.  The beauty of a non-traditional ceremony is that there really isn't too much of a wrong or right way.  A few standard procedures will keep the guests a little less confused, though.  
  • Options
    At my first wedding the officiant asked "who presents this woman to be married?"  I've seen weddings where there is no exchange at all.
  • Options
    Ldnaghey said:
    Depends on what you want. The processional usually includes the WP, the parents, and sometimes the grandparents. My H had both his parents walk down with him. I had both my parents walk down with me. The WP walked in pairs. Everyone else was seated.
    We were anti-that also. My parents walked me up and sat down. The officiant said nothing. They said nothing to the officiant.
    We held hands to exchange vows and then exchanged rings. 
    I don't know of any resources. Google?

Thanks <3

*********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards