Wedding Party

Asking Bridesmaids

Hey everyone! I am not new to this, as I am just recently engaged. I know who I want to be my bridesmaids, but I want to ask them in a special way. What are some ways that people have asked their bridesmaids? any suggestions are highly welcomed! 

Re: Asking Bridesmaids

• I don't know about special ways, but I would avoid texting or emailing them as that's really impersonal. Maybe take them out for coffee?
  • If they live in the same city as you I would ask them face to face, you could hand them a little gift saying "Will you be my BM" and wait for their reaction or just ask them. For those you don't see I would call them I hate texting and emails for things like this. I personally am sending my girls a really cute little box with Will you be my BM and some little wedding stuff (Kind of like this).

• Hey everyone! I am not new to this, as I am just recently engaged. I know who I want to be my bridesmaids, but I want to ask them in a special way. What are some ways that people have asked their bridesmaids? any suggestions are highly welcomed! 

Please wait until about 9-10 months until your wedding to ask them. Too many brides ask too soon, and find out that their relationship with the BM/MOH changed.

I called my out of town bridesmaids to ask, and asked the in-town bridesmaids in person. I later sent a fancy card, but only because I wanted to.

• I wouldn't ask until about 10 months out. You'll have a better feel for wedding size and who you want involved. 

I always think super "cute" ways, poems, or gifts put a lot of pressure on potential BMs to say yes. I'm a big fan of adult conversations out to lunch or coffee if you can do it face to face. Or a telephone call or skype if you can't.
    *********************************************************************************

• We recently moved hundreds of miles from home, so I wanted to come up with a nice way to ask my girls to make them feel special since I couldn't see them face to face.  I am doing all of our wedding stationary, so I designed their BM invites to look similar to the other stationary to give them the feel of it.  I made a card for each of them with the big question at the bottom (on the card I just told them how special they are to me and stuff like that and on the back I just put some general info like the wedding date/ venue/ colors).  I also got each of them a small set for doing their nails (just toe separators and a nail file I found at Michaels craft store for like $1 each), an agenda book (with our wedding date marked inside as well as each of their birthdays), and a pen.  I made adhesive vinyl stickers of each of their names (also to match the font on the invites) and put that on the front of the planners.  Inside the planners I put a general timeline of when the fun stuff will take place.  Really, the only reason I wanted to do all of that was because we moved so far away.  They were small simple items, but I also tried to make them special by adding their names and putting colored ribbon on things to match the wedding colors.  The cards were written by me in our sense of humor so the girls really enjoyed reading them!  

(And yes, we are just under a year out, but there are several reasons I asked my girls now instead of later.)

• All great ideas!! I am hoping to get married in May or June of 2014, so I needed to check with them soon. I asked them "unoffically" then told them I would ask them in a better way later. 3 out of my 4 live out of town, so I plan to send a cute card with a little gift. The one that lives here, I am going to take her to dinner. 

Thank ya'll for your advice! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards