Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

First Dance Help

Is it okay to skip the first dance? While we would both love to dance together at our reception, he's 6'9 and I'm 5'. We've been trying to practice, but our height difference makes it really awkward. Any suggestions? Any one else have a big height difference with their FI/DH?

Re: First Dance Help

• It's fine to skip the first dance. You could wear heels.
  • I think it's a really superficial reason to skip it, if it's something you want to do. You do realize that people have seen you stand next to each other before?
  • Yikes.  My FI is 14" taller than me and I thought that was a pretty big difference.  I can get where you're coming from, though.  You want to be able to gaze into each other's eyes when you dance... even with heels, you're still going to be facing his chest and that doesn't feel very romantic/special.  It's your party -- do what you're comfortable with.
  • If you don't want to do a first dance, skip it!

I've actually noticed a trend at weddings I've been to lately. I don't notice when brides and grooms skip traditional wedding stuff. Like, I don't notice when the invitations don't have inner envelopes. I don't notice when first dances or bouquet tosses are skipped. I'm not really fazed or confused by a bride walking down the aisle with both parents, or by uneven/mixed gender wedding parties.

What I do notice is when a wedding is poorly planned, or when brides and grooms do things that are rude. So I notice when I miss the whole cocktail hour (and a half) because the photographer told me I was needed for photos, except that they really only had to borrow me for about 5 minutes. I notice when not everyone is invited to the ceremony, and made to stand around and wait. I notice when no thank you notes are sent out.

Skipping the first dance? Not rude. No one will care.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I think it's a really superficial reason to skip it, if it's something you want to do. You do realize that people have seen you stand next to each other before?

I'm very much aware that people have seen us stand together before. We love our difference in height, but that doesn't take away the fact that it's still physically awkward to dance together. We can't hold each other like most couples do when they dance.

Like Ven&Radio said, even with heels on I'll come up to his chest (with regular shoes on my face is at his belly). He has to look down and I have to look straight up to be able to look at each other while embraced and dancing. It's not very intimate/romantic. And I can't put my arms around his neck to dance either. We were just hoping someone who's BTDT would have suggestions or things that helped them to dance with their SO.

phira- Thanks for your comment, too. Regardless of the dancing issue, that takes some stress off of me :)
  • No problem :) My partner is TERRIBLE at dancing. We're going to do lessons (if we can fit it in our budget), but I'm pretty sure he's not going to be doing much dancing besides that. We'd skip the first dance if he wanted to, but he doesn't.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Maybe you could wear heels, if possible, and wrap your arms around each other as if you were hugging and kind of dance that way.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards