Chit Chat
Options

Sort of NWR...Thoughts on/experience with Display Showers

Apparently the Display Showers of old are becoming trendy again for baby showers (there's been a little talk here about them from time to time for Bridal Showers, too).

Basically, for those who don't know, guests are asked by the hostess to bring their gift unwrapped, and it's set on a table with their card so all guests can see. Or, the hostess receives the gift from the guest when they arrive, unwraps it herself, and then places it out on a table.

So the mom-to-be (or bride-to-be) never actually opens the gift.

Many supporters of Display Showers say that guests get "bored" sitting through the gift opening. Or the bride/mom is "shy" about opening presents in front of people. Or they want to afford the bride/mom more time to be able to "enjoy" her guests company versus opening gifts.

Have any of you attended a Display Shower? Considered one for your own shower?

I'm personally not a fan and think they're tacky, and I'm hoping MIL and SIL don't suggest this for my baby shower...

Re: Sort of NWR...Thoughts on/experience with Display Showers

• Options

I'm not a fan either...

If your MIL/SIL suggest it tell them no.  That should be easy enough...

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I wouldn't go to one. I'd send my gift in advance - they can do the work of unwrapping it.
  • Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would think this is just the greatest idea...
  • Options
    I don't like this at all. What happens at the shower if the gifts aren't opened? You go, you look at a table full of gifts, you eat, you go home? 

My friend chose not to open any gifts at her bridal shower. They stayed wrapped. She showed up incredibly late, we ate, she didn't open gifts, we went home. It was boring and such a waste of a 2 hour drive for me. 

• Options
    I didn't have a bridal shower for my first wedding and am not having one for this one either, but when I had my baby shower for DS, everyone gathering around when we opened the presents was the best part.  I could be wrong,but everyone seemed to have fun with it, especially all the ooh-ing and ah-ing over all the cute baby clothes.

I personally love that part of a shower and would be kind of disappointed if everything was just sitting out for all to see from the beginning.
  • Options

When I first read the title I thought you were talking about the bathroom shower/tubs that are sometimes on display in a kiosk type thing in the middle of a mall. I need to go home lol.

But to answer your real question, no I would not do this, it seems pointless. Just drop the item off at my house, or load it right into my car for me. My little cousins opened all of the gifts at my shower and they (and me too) had so much fun doing it.

• Options
    The only reason I've ever heard of are the same as you stated: to spend more time socializing versus opening gifts. If that's what you want to do, then throw a party unrelated to the wedding and/or giving presents and invite all the people you want to socialize with. Easy!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I don't attend display showers.  Tacky, unappreciative, and a waste of time.
  • Options
    The presents are the best thing about showers. Who wants to play the dumb games? The food is nice, too.
  • Options
    If the premise is that opening gifts will take too long, then the solution is to stop hosting showers that invite 50+ people.  Showers should be for immediate family and close friends.

If you're too shy to open gifts, then don't partake in a gift giving event.

If presents are on display, I will assume I am at a silent auction.  I will be the only one to place a bid, thus assuring my bid the winner.  I will walk out with that prize.  And leave my $1.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards