Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Trouble with ordering Hollow to Hem?

Did anyone order a dress hollow to hem and have it turn out too short or too long?

When I ordered my dress the saleswoman suggested I NOT order it hollow to hem, as it might not be the right length when it arrives and would have to be altered, anyway. She said they could just alter it accurately when it arrives. Is this true, or was she just trying to make more money from alterations?

My hem will be fairly complicated to shorten - lace scalloping. It is a Casablanca and I know they make custom dresses all the time. I will be wearing flat shoes, so I don't think the shoe measurement at my fitting will be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Trouble with ordering Hollow to Hem?

• Options
    I did not order my dress that way but if the consultant at your bridal shop measures correctly I do not see the dress coming in wrong, especially if the designer does this type of thing all the time.

To alter a dress with a scalloped lace hem it would most likely have to be taken up at the waist to keep the hem intact.

Is there another sales person you could talk to at your bridal store?  Can you possibly go to a different bridal salon in your area that also sells Casablanca dresses to see what they say?

Also, if you are to order hallow to hem make sure that they measure you multiple times to be sure of your size.  The old adage "measure twice, cut once" type thing.

• Options
    Hi embroson -

Personally, I would recommend ordering your dress hallow to hem, especially given the style of the bottom of your dress. I am very short (4'11) and ordered my dress this way. It worked out perfectly for me - since I am so short, certain elements of my dress would have fallen in strange places had I ordered the regular size and had it shortened later.

My dress was also a Casablanca :) I absolutely loved it. Best of luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards