October 2013 Weddings

Name Change List

So for those of us who are changing our names, what's on the list of places you need to change your name?

So far I've got:
SSA
driver's license
the credit union
work
-benefits
lease
renter's and car insurance
cell phone plan
utilities
2nd CU
Wells Fargo account

I'm sure there are places I've forgotten... what places are on your lists?

Re: Name Change List

• According to this link you are right on track. I am also wondering about this sort of thing as it is a huge undertaking! I am wondering about silly things such as social networking and email. Obviously those aren't as big of a concern but still a factor for me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• According to this link you are right on track. I am also wondering about this sort of thing as it is a huge undertaking! I am wondering about silly things such as social networking and email. Obviously those aren't as big of a concern but still a factor for me.
    I've seen all the lists, but I've started a personal list because (as shown above) I have 2 credit union accounts, and 2 bank accounts. All with separate institutions. I don't think I necessarily need to specify "credit card" because... that's associated with one of the credit unions.

Just trying to collect a list, and if there are any other places you ladies can think of.

And I just thought of one, now that I'm typing this out, that I haven't seen on any list.
    Sam's Club membership.
  • That's a great list...

If there are any loans you may have - I'm guessing you need to change it on them?

Are you guys going to even bother changing them on magazine subscriptions?

I have to add Veterinarian to that list as well...right now Abby is Abby FI's last name - but I have my maiden name as an owner - I'll be sure to change that!

Also - I know for me the BIGGEST pain in the butt will be at my client site for work.  I just got a new badge and the process is PAINFUL!  I also already have two emails in the system due to switching from Agency in 2010 to another...now I'll have three.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2013
    Oh good call for the vet! I'm moving, so I'll need to find a new vet anyway. Hopefully the PetsMart near by has a Banfield in it. My kitties are on a prescription diet that I can only get from a vet - or a PetsMart with my prescription card.

Speaking of prescriptions...any doctors/dentists/etc will need name changes (although since I'm moving... I'll need to find a new one for me too. Yay....... Those can wait until after I've changed my name though.)
  • i have to change my name for my state license for cosmetology- i dont know if its the same for each state but that would be another one for anyone that has a state license.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Add notary to that list if you are one!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • also, if you have a passport.. after your honeymoon is probably best for this one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • shannie11shannie11 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013
    We were talking about this today as we were getting our marriage license!  I was thinking about the number of copies I need made!  

I def need:

SS
    drivers license
    work license (I am an xray tech)
    passport (they gave me all the paperwork to change this for free during our first year).
    one for my records

We already have a joint bank account but I do not know what I need yet to change that.

I guess when we come back from out honeymoon I will at least start with these ones since a copy is $15 each.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • @shannie11 how did you manage to swing the free passport thing? did you get yours recently? from what I've seen, changing my name on my passport will just mean getting a brand new passport (which is not cheap.....)
  • @lplions - if you have gotten your passport less than a year of when you will be changing it - the fees are waived... http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

My guess is the State Department figures you JUST paid the fees within that year and they don't want to make you pay again. Which depending on how you feel about the government - is quite surprising that they don't make you pay again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2013
    @schellzinator yea, okay. I saw that but wasn't sure if there were any other nice things the government might do. oh well. I don't think I'll be needing my passport right away, so I'll put that as a "to do later" name change item.
  • @lplions - yeah I would wait too if I weren't in that window.  When does your passport expire?  I travel out of the country so infrequently it wouldn't make sense to do it right away.  And when I do go out of the country it is planned WELL in advance :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @schellzinator 2018, I think. They're good for 10 years, right? Yea, I imagine if we decide to make our Ireland&Scotland trip before we start having kids, we'll plan it over a year out, which is plenty of time to get a new one. :)
  • I had all of  yours, plus:

Vehicle title

Voter Registration,

Credit Cards

Student Loans

Business Cards

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @stevelovesmelissa yup! I'm waiting to title my vehicle until after the wedding. I have 60 days after I move to title & register my car (and get my license) in my new state, so I figured it would make a million times more sense to wait. I guess I need to add "register to vote" to my "to-do" list in MD... sigh. 

Happily, once I change my name with work, they'll give me new business cards and, oh yea! my hard hat! My name needs to be changed on there too! Although, they're probably not going to order me a new set of cards right when I start on my new project. We order like, 500 at a time because it's cheaper that way. No point in giving me 500 with my maiden name to have it change a month after I start work on that project, haha.

All great additions, though!
  • Yes I just got mine a couple months ago.  They said if I renew in less than a year then it is free.  
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • I'm dreading the process so I'm considering using MissNowMrs.com, anyone heard anything good or bad about it?  From what I've read you answer all of the questions once and they auto-fill in all of the appropriate forms, you print, sign and mail.  It seems worth it to me. I told FI that I was going to wait until 2014 to change my name, but I'm considering trying to get it done as soon as we're back from the honeymoon so that I can "gift" it to him at Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards