Ohio-Columbus

Need help on some venue costs

I am not getting married until next year, but im trying to plan ahead so im not stressed out on my wedding day. I have my heart set on the Palm House at the Franklin Park Conservatory but I am learning that it is quite pricey.  I am having a small wedding with no more than 75 people maximum, and I am doing a lot of the décor myself.  I want a location that I can have the ceremony and reception at the same location.  I also have the boathouse at confluence park in mind as well.  If you have had your wedding at either one of these locations, please let me know how much they charged you, or how much their rates are.  Also, if you have any other location ideas, I would love to know about them!:)  I am looking for inexpensive that would let me DIY. Thanks in advance!

Re: Need help on some venue costs

• I didn't mention, I am trying to keep a tropical/outdoorsy theme to my wedding.
  • I am getting married at the Grange Audobon Center on an off day. It's cheaper to get married on a Friday or Sunday...that may be true at the places you are considering too. I liked the Audobon Center because we can go outdoors for pictures and see outside in almost every part of the building, but everything can actually be inside.
  • We looked at the Boathouse for our reception.  The ballroom was $12000 minimum on Saturday (food and beverage), too much, but by far the nicest room.  We are planning a small wedding too, 80-90.  The other rooms are smaller and not as nice... but here were the mins: Confluence on Friday is $4000.00 and $6000.00 on Saturday.  Olentangy on Friday is $3000.00 and $5000.00 on Saturday.  The Scioto room is $2500.00 on Friday and $4000.00 on Saturday.

Have you thought about doing it at North Bank Park?  One of my friends got married there last Summer and it was beautiful and I think she had a small budget.  We are having our reception at Graystone Winery and I am soo excited, however it doesn't have the outdoors aspect you want.  Check out Amelita Mirolo barn, we are having our ceremony there, you could have your reception there too, just have to hire a caterer.

• Check Audubon as suggested. Corizon might be tropical enough for you. Another bride said it was affordable. 
    Does Nationwide do weddings in their conservatory space downtown?
    One bad thing about FPC is your dress will be black by the end - if that help you feel better about it being so expensive. :-)
    North Bank doesn't have a set catering minimum but you have a steep rental rate - but it is gorgeous.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• The Venue at Corazon may be outside of your price point (I got a deal).  Normal food and beverage minimum was $8,000 for a Saturday wedding.  They have an outside area but the inside is not "tropical" I would call it more elegant, rustic Italian (fireplaces, wood beams, wrought iron chanalier in the lobby, etc.).  The ballroom is elegant with lots of windows.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • This is perfect size for you, and perfectly outdoorsy - bring in your own food/decor ... hire one of their preferred bar vendors .... not sure how this fits in your budget?

http://parks.columbus.gov/griggsboathouse.aspx
  • edited August 2013
    donethat said:
    This is perfect size for you, and perfectly outdoorsy - bring in your own food/decor ... hire one of their preferred bar vendors .... not sure how this fits in your budget?

http://parks.columbus.gov/griggsboathouse.aspx
    WOW! Is that new? Never seen it and it is gorgeous! But $1350 for a Friday or Saturday rental fee is pretty steep. Not much less than FPC :-(
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    Isn't it pretty?  I know a couple of people who work at Indian Village close by there .....  I'm always peeking in ;-)

Rental charge is similar, but one might be able to save a bundle on food/bar.....  (and all tables and chairs provided, so no rental there)

It opened a couple years ago - to be used as boat house (for rowing/crew team)  it's available for rentals, but they don't really promote or advertise as much as they did when they opened North Bank Park.http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/05/21/boathouse_opens.html
  • Thanks so much!!Every response helped!! I will be looking into all of the suggestions you guys gave me! If anyone else has any more ideas please feel free to share!!
  • When is your wedding?

My first wedding was at the Palm House at the conservatory in August. We ended up having to shell out an extra $600 for these obnoxious fans because it was so humid, and so hot. (That's to be expected, given the location) By the time the reception came, I was a sweaty mess and the curls in my hair looked like a hot mess. 

At that time, the only person that could cater was Cameron Mitchell (But I do believe that they have incorporated more preferred caterers) and that alone was $9000. Yes, it's gorgeous, but depending on the season of your wedding, it may not be worth it in terms of comfort.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards