Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

What's on Your Do-Not-Play-List?

Compiling my Do Not Play List and it is way harder than my play list! Looking for other songs that I'm forgetting to add.

so far...
Journey – Don’t Stop Believing

Black Eyed Pease – I Gotta Feelin’

Cupid Shuffle

Carly Rae Jepson – Call Me Maybe

DJ Casper - Cha Cha Slide

Rihanna – We Found Love

Sir Mix A Lot – Baby Got Back

ANY COUNTRY!!

Eric Clapton  - Wonderful Tonight

Songs Specifically about getting married ex Bruno Mars – Think I’m going to marry you, Train – Marry Me

Seger, Bob & The Silver Bullet Band – Old Time Rock n Roll

Vanilla Ice – Ice Ice Baby

Any Chris Brown

VIC – Wobble

Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Jack Johnson and their ilk

Electric Slide /Chicken Dance/Macarena/YMCA/cotton eyed joe

Aerosmith – Don’t Want to Miss a Thing

Miley Cyrus – Party in the USA

Young MC – Bust a move

Kings of Leon

Norah Jones

Jimmy Buffet

Justin beiber

Taylor Swift

Celine Dion

Re: What's on Your Do-Not-Play-List?

• The Chicken Dance & the Hokey Pokey. Ew. 
  • gangnam style and soilder boy.
  • Anything by Aerosmith and Love Shack.
  • We don't have a no play list. We're playing whatever people ask for on their response cards.

• Any dubstep, Macarena by Los del Rio, Too Sexy by Right Said Fred (by FI's request), Hot in Here by Nelly, any hard core/heavy metal, Hokey Pokey, Mambo #5 by Lou Begga, Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke featuring Pharrell Williams & T.I., Closer by Nine Inch Nails, My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion, and Love Stinks by J. Giels Band.image
  • Secret Lovers by Atlantic Starr!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're not doing anything with vulgar/overly sexual language and nothing "anti-love". Anything else, if the guests want it it's ok with us.
  • I was against Cupid Shuffle at first, but I would honestly have it as an option. You'd be surprised at how many people will get up and dance to that one; I've even seen videos when I was trying to learn the steps of the older generations dancing to it. Don't totally ban some of those types of songs. I would have to agree with the Cha Cha Slide though! I know some of those songs seem like they are played at every wedding, but think about it, there may be a reason for that :). If you put too many bans on music, then you won't make your guests too pleased I'm sure. A big no no for us is Love Shack and YMCA.
  • Any of those overplayed dance songs are out for us. Instead for "dance" music we're going to have 90s pop songs, seeing as how we're 90's kids haha.
  • You aren't going to have any music left.  I went to a wedding once where all the bride allowed to be played was "club" music.  Most people left, because she made the reception all about her and not about her guests and the new chapter she was starting with her husband.  
  • It was the worst wedding I ever went to.

• edited September 2013
    Personally, I don't want rap/hip-hop/club music or as another poster said, songs that are anti-love (I went to a wedding that played Uncle Kracker's "Follow Me" which is blatantly about an extramarital affair and I felt super weird about it). My FI and I also don't really want line dancing, because all the dudes and half the girls clear off the floor for it.

So instead, along with those as a guideline for a no-play list, we are giving our DJ the following genres which we like: 90s rock, alternative, electronica/house for dancing, some oldies, new rock and SOME pop. We're giving certain performers, like Bruno Mars, Lady GaGa, etc, that are the exception to the rule because we do like their style/message/whatever. I do agree with no country, though... I live in central Cali where a ton of farming communities are all over it, but I've never liked it myself. We'll probably also add Swift to our no-plays, because of country and because of weird radio-reminders of some bad times in the history of our relationship.

Ice Ice Baby is a point of contention for my FI and I. I think it's a horrible song and anytime I hear it start, I hope beyond hope that it's Under Pressure instead. FI thinks "it's hilarious watching every single white girl dance AND SING to it... because you all know all of the words!" But I don't know them, I hate it, it's not an appealing song to me in ANY WAY! so he agreed to put it on our do-not-play list.
  • I also totally agree with cutting out music that could be played at a middle school dance, like bieber, Miley, One Direction, Carly Rae Jepsen, Selena Gomez...
  • I think that's funny, because a lot of the songs in the OP were actually on our MUST play list!  And actually they were the songs that got most of the people out on the dance floor.  We had a very short do not play list no Rihanna, no Ke$ha and no line dances), but we told the DJ that we weren't that adamant about it, if someone actually requested something that was fine to play it if her feel that it fit.  My biggest concern was not having music that would get people dancing, so we were pretty lenient.  The reception was just as much about our guests as it was for us.  I also knew that we didn't have anyone there that would be into the "middle school dance" music, so I wasn't that concerned.  My advice would be to keep your do not play list as short as you can stand.....
  • "Same Love"- Macklemore. I know, I know, it's a good message but it's played approximately every 17 minutes on my local radio stations and I'm SO SICK of it

I am curious as to what's left for the OP
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • im not leaving any music out except the chicken dance. i have gone to many weddings where they have said we are playing a bit of everything and there is never any country. i am a huge country music fan as well as many of my guests so there will be 4 country line dance songs played easy ones that can get the non country crowed up dancing. 

your dj should be able to know how to get the crowd moving there are times where the bride and groom have a strict play list and no one is dancing and the dj might ask them if they could play other things 
  • Anything not country or classic rock shall not be played. Oh yeah, and no Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift or Carrie Underwood... yuck. 
  • Anything country!

• I can understand the pickiness of the OP. If there's music you just don't like, then you just don't like it. And ALLL of those songs are SO OVER DONE. Regardless of some of them being very good songs, "Don't Stop Believing" being one of them. I have this desire to be equally as picky, especially if I have a DJ, which I don't want to have to do. Cha Cha Slide is out, but if I don't play the Electric Slide my family just might walk out on me. I'm realizing that just because I take music super seriously doesn't mean that my guests will understand it. I probably won't be able to be as picky as I'd like, but there are just certain things that WON'T happen. (I'm lookin' at you everything written by Blake Shelton and Brad Paisley.)
  • Lost In This Moment by Big and Rich.  Was "our song" with an ex.  Y'all have given me some good ideas!  I, however, will have much country.  Its one of two types I listen to.
  • @jewlely24

I thought the same thing. haha. Oh well. I love some Party in the USA!

We are staying away from line dances and rap.
  • It never occurred to me to ban jimmy buffet, but I hate him with a passion and some of my best friends love him so I will definitely need to formally ban his tunes. I also am against organized/group dances, so all of those will be banned unless someone requests one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards