Wedding Etiquette Forum

Help! i goofed on thank yous, but how bad

I just finished my thank you cards for the bridal shower, a few weeks late. On 8/3 my mother’s family met for a family reunion about 6 hours from where we live. My Aunt, the host, made this a joint reunion bridal shower.  It was the first time many of my family met my groom and step kids to be. I just finished thank yous for contributed to a cash gift, including some family that was not in attendance. Some of the cards have already gone out (including the host and some major helpers to the host), signed by myself, my groom, and his kids. I just finished the rest and only signed my own name and sealed them. DUMB!!!!! Do I have to steam them all open and sign his name? because of time and schedules, even if i steam them open, perhaps destroying envelopes with postage already on them, it will still be just me signing his name.

Re: Help! i goofed on thank yous, but how bad

• No, the gifts were given only to you. It would have been nice if you mentioned his name in the thank you, such as "Jim and I can't wait to use the new can opener," but I don't think it's a crisis. Even the wedding thank-yous should only be signed by the person writing them.
  • Thanks Keptin Stitches
  • You're fine, mail them. Bridal showers are for the bride, so really only your name needs to signed.
  • The goof was signing other people's names, but that ship has sailed (mailed). When you write the thank you, you sign only your name as only you are the letter writer. You mention the other user of the gift, as keptinstitches said. You can say, for example, that FI will be using the mixer as he is a fabulous baker, or that FI, kid1, kid2, and kid3 enjoyed meeting the giver at the picnic, or such. The same is true for thank you's that either of you write for wedding gifts. He would write, for example, thank you for the money, as Phatgirl and I are saving for our first house.
  • Ummmm.....whoops? Not for OP, for me.  I totally signed all the wedding gift thank-you cards with our names. But I printed, not cursive, so our names were not signed like signatures.  Like:

Love,

Short and Sassy (handwritten printed, not cursive)

Please have mercy, Knotties, and tell me that wasn't too bad?

As for the OP, that wouldn't phase me at all that it only had your name if I even noticed that...but then perhaps I am not the best judge of thank-you note etiquette!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Anyone who is going to go after you for printing your name instead of using cursive script needs a life, quite frankly. You handwrote your thank-yous, that's plenty good enough in my world.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards