Getting in Shape

My favorite book is helping me get into shape

I am not an exercise enthusiast though I do come from a family of work-out-aholics, I never could get into a groove of working out. But now that I am engaged I have found an unknown resolve to look the best I can on our wedding day. I am lucky that I am an English major in school so reading is a necessity but I never realized how easy it was to work out while reading. Another reason I am lucky is that I get to take a course on Harry Potter, a book series I love, for an elective. I had begun re-reading the series but this time, since I have read them so much, I decided I read them while working out and it could not be going better, I just sit on them stationary bike and start to peddle and allow myself to get lost into this other world by the time I am done with a chapter I have peddled for 15-20 minutes with out realizing. I almost don't want to stop working out because you want to keep reading.

And that is my biggest piece of advice. It doesn't have to be HP but your favorite book or book series can really help get you into a work out routine, at least cardio, with a lot of ease because you get lost in what you are reading the workout gets to be just a secondary action. I also don't see why it has to be a book, I have been to gyms where they have tv monitors with dvd/cd player on every machine  so you could easily watch your favorite television series, if you are willing to pay for the dvds, My main point is to find something that can distract you from exercising to allow you to go further than you thought you could

Re: My favorite book is helping me get into shape

• I cannot read and run, it's much too difficult. I remind myself I have a 32 mile race in 5 days. That makes me move my ass just fine. Once the snow takes over though and I'm forced inside I will watch movies on my tablet since I can watch and run on the treadmill. But reading and running is a no go. Anyone who can read while they run are clearly not working hard enough. Stationary bike may be different, but I just sign up for races. Work out and do them or consider the sizeable entry fee a charitable donation. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Agreed, I can not read and run at the same time.  However, audio books are a great way to pass the time during long runs!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope. I can't even read a big print magazine and run on a treadmill. Not for me. I can see doing a book on cd or something. Or a download
  • Same as has been said, I can't read and run! But I've listened to audio books, and I have read while on a stationary bike. I actually wish that I had one so that I could continue to do so, although right now I'd be doing grad school reading, not reading for fun haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards