Florida-Central Florida

Premarital Course

I just looked at Osceola County Clerk of Court website for marriage license info.  My fiance is in the Air Force so trying to plan around his schedule.  For fees it says there is a discount of $32.50 if you take a premarital course. I googled "premarital course osceola" and the first site says they charge $30 plus tax.  My question is, is the course worth it since the discount is eaten up by the cost of course?

Thank you!

Re: Premarital Course

• It's just like going to driving school when you get a ticket. It costs the same amount as the discount but there is a bigger benefit to it. With the marriage license you can get it immediately with the course as opposed to having to wait three days of you don't take it. My husband and I had a week in town before the wedding so decided that we weren't going to do it.
  • What if you are taking premarital from a counselor or pastor- does that Apply? I'm in tx & he's in fl & we are doing counseling with my pastor via skype. They will waive the wait since I'm from out of state but I'm wondering if the fee is only waived if you use their course
  • edited September 2013
    @cokezerofreak, I can't recommend a marriage preparation course enough. My fiancee and I are going through one with our Catholic church and it's brought us so much closer together. Having God at the center of our lives is everything to us, plus the marriage preparation gives you a lot of good advice on how to organize your life together. Just a tip: marriage preparation counseling will probably bring out issues you might not have talked about, like, "How many children do we want to have?" "Who's going to be the breadwinner and is someone staying home with the kids?" "How involved in our lives do we want our in-laws to be?" If you have any religious faith, it's a good idea to get a little input from your pastor--our priest is a good friend and a wonderful influence in our lives. If you're not religious, I think counseling can certainly be a healthy choice. Are you Catholic? If so, I can put you in touch with some good local resources. In any case, it's definitely worth the $30.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards