Honeymoon Discussions

Cancun honeymoon?

FI and I have started looking at different options and we have decided Cancun is the place we want to go. We really love the idea of an all-inclusive, adults-only resort (nothing against kids, just do not want to be around them on HM). So far, I have found Secrets The Vine Cancun, Excellence Cancun, and Live Aqua Cancun to be the ones really drawing my eye. Anybody have other suggestions, or has anyone ever stayed at any of these? Plus, how did you feel safety wise being in Mexico? (I am personally not afraid, our mothers though are convinced Mexico is too dangerous because of drug wars). Thanks!

Re: Cancun honeymoon?

• I've been 11 times over the past 12 years. Your moms should do their research re: drugs in Mexico and where the issues are. It's like Phoenix and New York. Anyway cancun is great but keep in mind that there are a lot of great restaurants there so an so, while seeming like a good idea, may restrict you as far as not wanting to leave bc you already paid for food.
    But I think it's a great idea. If you go during non school holidays you don't really have to worry about kids but there are the adult only options too.
    Le blanc, the royal cancun both get excellent reviews. There's also the ritz Carlton jd Marriott etc. if you want non ai options.
    Good luck.

• We've been to Real Resorts The Royal Cancun twice and love it. I have two reviews and a ton of pics in the link above my siggy pic.
  • I was at Secrets the Vine for a week in June.  It was AMAZING!  The resort is beautifully new, ultra-chic and modern.  Plenty of activities and the food was great!  Many areas to lounge and relax.  Service was awesome (we had the preferred concierge level).  You can choose to do a little or a lot.  I can't wait to go back!

Please note, however, that the shower is enclosed in glass (although frosted around the middle) in an open area in the room, and the water closet is a frosted glass door which does not afford much privacy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We stayed at the Royal and loved it. We felt pretty safe but we didn't really leave the resort and of course we kept our valuables locked in our in-room safe. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've stayed at Live Aqua.  There are kids there, but there is an adult only section of the hotel and separate pool area.  It was nice, and the food was pretty good.  I was disappointed with the specialty restaurant though.  It didn't seems any different than the buffet.  We really enjoyed it though.  Very clean and modern and lots of pool chairs.  Staff were fantastic. 

As for safety in Mexico, I've never felt unsafe in Cancun.  We've been out for walks on the main strip after dark (4 adults).  That said, you're going to find bad areas and problems everywhere you go if you're not smart.  Don't go out alone, don't flash cash or expensive stuff and don't think that just because you're on vacation, you can get shit faced, walk around the hotel naked, do some drugs and be perfectly safe.  That will probably find you some trouble anywhere you go.  

The things some people do on vacation and are then shocked when they wake up assaulted in a ditch somewhere blow my mind, but that's for another thread

• I've stayed at Excellence and Le Blanc (the latter for our honeymoon).  Le Blanc wins my vote for the best all-inclusive in Cancun hands-down....the service was amazing. 
  • We stayed at Secrets and loved it. I posted review & pictures on my blog: http://darcela.blogspot.com/2013/02/secrets-vine-cancun-intro-hotel-review.html
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback! We are actually more than likely going to be spending our honeymoon at El Dorardo Seaside Suites! Our travel agent will be able to get us a free upgrade to a swim up suite and dinner for two on the beach and breakfast in bed:) very very excited. Now the FI just has to get approved for work leave and we can book our 5 night honeymoon! :) Kind nervous about flying though anyone got any tips for how to handle that? lol
  • Congrats! Sounds wonderful.

Flying's not that big of a deal. More of a PITA than anything. (security, what you can and can't take...blah blah blah.

In the link above my siggy pic "our website" I have a bunch of travel tips listed. I also have a standard packing list for tropical climate, it is downloadable (need excel or open office) and customizable.

HTH. Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards